Beer through copper for chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahler

Reaction score
So I ran into a issue when trying to design an IC...my apt sink doesnt have the abilty to attanch an adapter.

My question is, can I put beer through the copper tube if the tube is NSF certified?
I figure that if I attach it to my pot, then into a 'bottling bucket' full of ice water, then into my carboy, it should work.

Any thoughts?

You can always get a submersible pump and hook that up to the IC. Place the pump in a bucket of water and throw in some ice so that you can cool your wort quicker. Running your wort through the pipe can leave the cold break behind in your pipe and be a pain to clean as well.

You can do that but your beer isn't likely going to be chilled to pitching temp. I would use a container that you can fill with at least 10 gallons of water (maybe a 60qt ice chest or Walmart party bucket), and a submersible pump (buy at harbor freight). Fill it with ice water and pump through your IC. you can add extra water to your container as needed.

Moose

*edit* I guess we had the same thought at the same time!

Good call. THanks!
Does a Counter flow chiller push the wort through the copper??

I looked into the pump...much easier than i expected.
Thanks for the help!

I use a submersible pump in a 60qt cooler of ice water to pump my immersion chiller, works well, and you don't waste so much water, but it uses the ice!

How long does it take to cool your batch? And what size batch are you coolong??

You may want to check at a local hardware store to see if an adapter can be purchased for the apartment faucet. I had to buy one for my Better Bottle water blaster!

I use a 6 gallon bucket with a submersible pump I bought from Harbor Freight. I start with about 2-3 gallons of cold water; as it circulates and heats up, I begin to add ice. I cool down a 3 gallon boil to under 110°F in less than 15 minutes. I cool it down to pitching temperature by adding cold water to bring the wort up to about 5.5 gallons.

glenn514:mug:

I do 5 gallon full boils using a keggle, 1/2 inch dia immersion chiller pumping ice water, and can cool from boiling to 70 deg in about 15 minutes, maybe 20 dending on air temp.(faster in winter as I do by boils in the garage)

I just used my ic for the first time last night. Placed a peck if party I've in my tub with cold water, hooked a carp pond pump up to the ic and placed the pot in the tub. From boiling to 69 in less than 12 minutes!

This is for a full 5 gallon boil.

T

Bought my submersible pump for $15-$20 on amazon.com. I freeze 3 empty 2- liter coke bottles and throw the pump,ice,and water in my hlt after sparging. Pump it through my chiller. Works great.

Edit: I also cut the plastic off the bottles with a razor knife.

Back