Beer Tasting Party Logistics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
So my latest batch of homebrew is almost ready and a bunch of my friends want to come over and try it. I was planning on serving it up along with a slim keg from a local microbrewery, and some specialty big bottles I have been saving for such an occasion.

I'll have enough homebrew for everyone to have plenty, but not much of each of the bottles. I want everyone to try a little of each bottle. What is the best way about doing this? I kind of want to have the little taster glasses, but don't to have to buy a ton of them. Maybe have everyone share and have a rinse station for them?

Has anyone done a beer tasting with a large group of people? What did you find the best way to serve them?

Thanks!

Get plastic disposable shot glasses from the party or liquor store, holds 1.5oz, perfect for tasting.

I did a "cheap beer tasting" for about 20 people last month. Everyone brought over a 6pack (or 72 ounces) of their favorite cheap beer ($6 or less). We did the whole double-blind thing. Randomized the selections and had one person pouring and another person serving. Guests had pre-printed score cards so they could rank each numbered selection on a scale of 1 to 5. We had 16 beers, including one ringer (Stella - not "good" but definitely not "cheap"). It was a really fun event. Believe it or not, Ice House won.

Anyway - a lot of my friends are not brewers or beer connoisseurs by any means. So I took the time to print out some tasting notes on the back of their score cards. Gave them some advice on evaluating all the aspects of each beer (based on BJCP scoring categories). Granted there wasn't much to be said about the mouthfeel or color when you're comparing ice house, milwaukee's best, colt 45 etc. But with a decent home brew and/or craftbrew, it might be worth going into that detail for your guests. You could also print up some cards with recipe notes and what the ingredients/methods were intended to contribute to the finished product.

As for serving - I used clear plastic punch cups, purchased from Walmart. More expensive than red solo cups, but worth it to be able to see what you're drinking. I also had a rinsing station - a small table with a pitcher of water for rinsing and an empty pitcher for dumping unfinished beer. (The dump pitcher was necessary at the cheap beer tasting - but hopefully wont be an issue with homebrew/craft beer)

Back