Beer Smith or Brewersfriend.com?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgalvin

Reaction score
I was just wondering people's opinions on Beer Smith vs Brewersfriend. I started out with Beer Smith and really like it. Then I used Brewers friend to log recipies and brew sessions. While Brewersfriend gives more detail, Brewhouse efficiency etc. I think Beersmith is more concise at at times more easy to use. It may just be I am more comfortable with it.

Anyone have an opinion? Any other software you really like?

I like BeerSmith because it's a program I can use offline and it has a wealth of tools. The problem with using a website is that you are at the mercy of that site and are counting on it being around forever. Also BeerSmith does include brewhouse efficiency.

I agree. Beersmith is offline but you can store your recipes in the cloud as well. You can download addons for lists of grains, hops & yeast. You can post your recipes to the Beersmith site as well as download them.

BeerSmith, no doubt. Way better tools too, like revising your malt percentages.

It has some quirks and a convoluted UI, but you get used to those after a while.

Brewers Friend is nice in a pinch, but I really like the way BeerSmith allows you to manage most variables. An example would be modifying the L° value for a particular grain, which can be done to the grain just in a particular recipe or in the grain database itself. Not a big deal, but I tend to be a bit anal about such things.

As an all-grain brewer, another thing that bugs me about BF is that changes to mash temps do not appear to result in changes to expected FG. Maybe I'm just overlooking something, but this alone would prevent me from using BF for my brewing.

Considering that BS can be purchased for $20, it's really an excellent piece of software for the money.

I have been kicking around a bunch of them lately.
I used to use Strangebrew and liked it but it doesn't seem to be supported in the past few years and after changing laptops I was without the software.
So, I started playing around with different ones to see what I liked.
I ended up getting the Beersmith app on my tablet and phone and like it. except for selecting ingredients, which seems to be a little slow. It works well and gives you all the info you would want.
I have Ubuntu loaded on the "house" laptop which is always on and located in the kitchen/dinning room, I'm not sure it's the latest version of beersmith but it works well and the ability to create and upload and use on your mobile device.
I all just works.

I use both...beersmith for recipe design and an easy way to calculate strike temps, I always hit the intended OG with beersmith too. I use BF for my mash pH predictor and for calculating ABV, as well as temperature corrections on hydrometer readings.

I used Brewersfriend when I brewed PM. Once I switched to AG, I only use Beer Smith. They both have their quirks, but I prefer Beer Smith because of the functionary it provides for AG brewing and the ability to customize a lot of grain, hops, and yeast factors based on your actual stats for your ingredients. Just my 2 cents.

I use BrewersFriend but have been contemplating switching. It does actually allow you to add custom malts and hops despite what others have posted but it does have other limitations. I have tried Beer Smith and like it (it is quite a bit different than BF) but I have a lot of stuff in BF and the BS mobile apps look better than BF. I will probably eventually switch but I have to find a day or two where I have time to transfer everything.

I use Brewer's Friend. I like it, particularly since I'm using my tablet on brew day, not my computer. I know that Beersmith has a mobile app, but at the time I was deciding, the mobile app was particularly terrible.

I find the Brewer's Friend interface to be intuitive. Development has halted, though. Apparently they are bringing some new developers on board, so hopefully they'll get back to the monthly improvements before long.

Back