Beer shank help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a Frigidaire 7.2 cf keezer conversion like the one Quaffer did and also featured in BYO, but I cannot locate 3" shanks in SS with a 3/16" bore. I see a lot of them are 1/4", but my lines are 3/16". I read somewhere that they should match or I'll get foaming if I go from 3/16" line to 1/4" bore shank. What's the deal? Can I use either bore without issue? I also saw some in chrome plated brass in 3/16", but I really want to stick with SS.

I have the same keezer. I used the 1/4" barbed shanks with 3/16 beer line. No issues at all. You will need to stick the end of the beer line in some hot water to get it to stretch over the barb. Remember, the tap it self is alot bigger than 3/16, so don't worry about the bore causing foam.

Same here, 3/16 hose, 3/16 tailpiece, 1/4" bore. I was having major foaming issues until I got a longer beer line.. 9 feet coiled up works very nicely.

A longer shank shouldn't be a problem in a keezer. Why not use 4" if you can't find 3"?

Ill toss my hat in the ring for it not causing foaming problems. I just installed my perlicks on my fridge using 1/4 inch bore SS shanks. I use 10 feet of 3/16 beer line going to the 1/4 inch barb and shank and have zero foam issues.

Back