Beer sampling and tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
Since the Hoppiness and Bitterness in beer comes from Hops, and those characteristics come from Alpha and Beta "Acids" in those Hops.

Would it make sense to drink an Alkaline water when tasting/sampling beers.

Would it be a good idea for Breweries/Pubs/Bars to serve Alkaline water with their beers especially beer flights.

Just thinking this could be another level of experience to Beer fans.

I'm not following what that would actually do (?)

If you are asking if a sip of an alkaline water before the beer would make a difference, I'm not sure.

The perceived bitterness is a result of the hop acids dissolved in the liquid (beer) and if that liquid has a higher alkaline content, the bitterness can be perceived as elevated or downright nasty.

I don't think that would extend / alter anything if you took a sip of water before hand (or after). I'm also not sure breweries would want to risk having their flavor profile altered by doing this, but it does seem interesting.

My $.02

Water or alkaline water will not influence how your tongue or others' perceive the level of bitterness in a beer. On special occassions I will drink water after every beer I consume, just to stay hydrated and avoid a tough morning.

Bitterness is also relative up to a point: the same beer, let's say with 50 IBUs, will be perceived differently by different people. Most will probably say it is bitter, but there will also be people saying it is not bitter enough. Resetting the palate can be done by eating something and taking a short break from drinking beer, maybe.

But as an avid homebrewer and beer drinker, I have no problem in drinking 3-4 different beers and reviewing their flavour/aroma/bitterness level, and I can do this without eating or drinking anything inbetween beers.

Have you tried drinking highly alkaline water with your beer? What were your results? Did you notice any changes in flavour?

Anything you can do to cleanse your pallet will help. The easiest is to eat a plain white bread such as French bread but there’s many other ways. Not sure if alkaline water would work.

I abosolutley hate it when I'm out and about ,and get a glass of water that just stinks of chlorine. As long as the water has no smell and maybe a little bit mineraly tasting it should be good.

I was listening to a podcast on Basic Brewing Radio and they were interviewing this guy who had a PhD in Biology in taste.
He was discussing taste buds and what taste is and what flavor is.
I figured since the bitterness and hoppiness comes from the alpha acids in hops and alkaline is on the opposite pH spectrum, I figured the alkaline water would thoroughly cleanse the palate so that your taste buds would be a "flat" (for lack of a better term) in regards to tasting the bitterness and hoppiness in beer.

Just a theory, just putting it out there.

Water or alkaline water will not influence how your tongue or others' perceive the level of bitterness in a beer. On special occassions I will drink water after every beer I consume, just to stay hydrated and avoid a tough morning.

Bitterness is also relative up to a point: the same beer, let's say with 50 IBUs, will be perceived differently by different people. Most will probably say it is bitter, but there will also be people saying it is not bitter enough. Resetting the palate can be done by eating something and taking a short break from drinking beer, maybe.

But as an avid homebrewer and beer drinker, I have no problem in drinking 3-4 different beers and reviewing their flavour/aroma/bitterness level, and I can do this without eating or drinking anything inbetween beers.

Have you tried drinking highly alkaline water with your beer? What were your results? Did you notice any changes in flavour?
Plan on doing it, in the coming weeks.

How much alpha (or beta?) acid is in the beer depends on when the hops were added, and the actual amounts in the hops. Isomerization of alpha acids during the boil or other high temps creates bittering compounds, which means...it's not acid anymore. On the other hand, not all of the alpha acid is converted; it takes probably 90 minutes to get there, give or take a few other variables. So some remains.

Late additions, of course, don't have much time for the alpha acid to isomerize so some would remain.

I have no idea offhand how that influences the beta.

One more thing that comes to mind: beer is already somewhat acidic. Not sure how that would change or not the perception given a previous beer.

I'm presenting some of my beer at a beer tent in 10 days; I plan on having oyster crackers in a bowl for those who want to cleanse their palates. It'll be a nice beer-snob touch, I think. :)

How much alpha (or beta?) acid is in the beer depends on when the hops were added, and the actual amounts in the hops. Isomerization of alpha acids during the boil or other high temps creates bittering compounds, which means...it's not acid anymore. On the other hand, not all of the alpha acid is converted; it takes probably 90 minutes to get there, give or take a few other variables. So some remains.

Late additions, of course, don't have much time for the alpha acid to isomerize so some would remain.

I have no idea offhand how that influences the beta.

One more thing that comes to mind: beer is already somewhat acidic. Not sure how that would change or not the perception given a previous beer.

I'm presenting some of my beer at a beer tent in 10 days; I plan on having oyster crackers in a bowl for those who want to cleanse their palates. It'll be a nice beer-snob touch, I think. :)
Good perspective, thanks for the add.

We're all beer snobs at heart [emoji4]

Back