beer pours fine but minimal carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dartos3

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for help w my keg. It's been sitting at 12 psi, 38F for about 2 weeks now. It's a Kolsch that was about 9 lb pilsner and 0.5 lb wheat. I have 10 ft 3/16" beer line. It pours fine (~5 seconds to fill a pint), but has minimal head that dissipates quickly, then minimal to no carbonation (it doesn't seem "fizzy" at all). I've double and triple checked for leaks, can't find any. Keg is holding CO2 because when I purge it from the top it hisses out very quickly.

The low pressure regulator held right at 12 psi when I loosened the front screw completely. I purged the pressure relief valve on the regulator and re-screwed it to 12 psi. CO2 tank has plenty of gas in it.

Does it just need more time? Is 12 psi minimal bubbly to begin with? Should I crank it up for a few days? Can you guys think of something I'm missing? I may just get a keg pressure checker to see.

Try turning up the gas to 30psi for a day or so and then turn it down to serving pressure. Also when gas is turned up check for leaks, you might have a very slow leak.

I vote more time. Beer to beer it will differ in the time to fully carbonate at a steady pressure like that.

Alright. Perhaps I'll crank it up over night then see where it's at tomorrow. Hoping it just needs more time. Thanks guys.

Yep. Just needed more time. I left it at 30 for a day then back down to 12. Looks great after another week.

Back