Beer pouring fast and foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokfreek

Reaction score
My beer is pouring in about 2 seconds and is half foam.
I have 15 feet of 1/4 line and it is at 10psi which is what I have had carbing at for 11 days.
I out a bottle of water I. The bottom of the kegerator and it was 34 degrees. The beer in my glass is 43.
According to the calculator I should need 12 ft of line so I don't understand why it is pouring so fast unless my regulator is broken. Is there another reason?

What diameter is the line? Maybe it's 1/4" ID? Maybe the pressure gauge on the regulator is malfunctioning? Regardless, I think I would turn the pressure down and see if you can get it to pour more slowly. I would dial back to zero, open a tap, and slowly turn it up until it pours at a slow and steady rate.

If the beer pours at a reasonable rate after reducing the pressure, but is still foamy, vent the pressure from the keg a few times per day until it decarbs some.

My beer is pouring in about 2 seconds and is half foam.
I have 15 feet of 1/4 line and it is at 10psi which is what I have had carbing at for 11 days.
I out a bottle of water I. The bottom of the kegerator and it was 34 degrees. The beer in my glass is 43.
According to the calculator I should need 12 ft of line so I don't understand why it is pouring so fast unless my regulator is broken. Is there another reason?

It's the 1/4" line. That is like hooking your beer up to a fire hose. You need more restriction.

Try 12' of 3/16" beer line and it will be much better.

Make sure your regulator reads "0" when you've bled all the pressure off, some of them have a calibration screw on the side of the gauge.

Ditto on the 3/16 line too.

I was using some math I found on the beersmith website for hose length. But I found a different calculator and it says I would need over 30' of 1/4 and about 9 of 3/16 so that must be the problem. Thanks for the replies. Gives me an excuse to go to the lhbs tomorrow.

Back