Beer People are Annoying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the problem is more in knowledge and how much you care. Any topic can be annoying if you do not care about it or if you care about it and someone is talking out of thair posterior about it. If someone is misinformed or propigating bad information the knowledgeable will find them annoting. If someone, like my sister who just does not give a damn, is being told about beer by someone who knows and cares about the topic (me), they will find them annoying. It is all subjective.

revelation said:
Look if you are not making Madagascar cinammon Russian Imperial Stout, you are doing it wrong.

Just saying....

And here I thought I was the only one annoyed with the BA for a denizens.

Can you send me a bottle buddy

If I to hear the phrase "look at the delicate lacing" one more time....
Especially at the beer fests while drinking from plastic mugs or crusty 6 oz glasses.

I have no idea where I read this but there was something written about beer geeks being people who care what they drink and beer snobs are those who care what you drink. I really wish I can give credit to the guy who wrote that.

That said, in the last 5 or so years I have really gotten more into beer. Perhaps it has something to do with a move from CA to a state that doesn't sell liquor in supermarkets. I always said I hated beer because I was only given Bush, Budwiser, Miller, etc and I just didn't care for the taste. Then I was given a couple craft beers and I completely understood that for me, I didn't hate beer, I hated some beers.

I don't care what others drink. I may make a comment in jest but I am certainly not a dick about it. When I go out, friends will ask what beer they might like. I'm actually pretty good at making those kind of recommendations based on their tastes. It's not about making them drink something better, if they ask what I would recommend I tell them. Again, I don't care if they order a PBR or a Hopslam, I am all for drinking with others.

I also don't read reviews. I should, but I don't. Same thing for movies and music. I think reviewers in general can be downright wrong. I may read a review on wine but that is when I am trying to avoid something where the tannins are strong because I do not like that at all.

I know the annoying ones though. I watched a guy critique root beer at a brewery last week. I wanted to shin kick him off his barstool. FWIW, the root beer is brewed with the same "just add water" extract that they sell in their brew shop. So no, it wasn't as complex as he was saying.

If I to hear the phrase "look at the delicate lacing" one more time....
Especially at the beer fests while drinking from plastic mugs or crusty 6 oz glasses.

I lol'ed. I don't know about anyone else but the first hour of any beer festival was all about trying new beers and just really listening to the brewery representatives speak and the following 3 hours was a college party being relived decades later. :D

People get too damn complicated when it comes to drinking and especially critiquing beer. Just shut the f00k up, drink and enjoy it!

BA has turned into a cartoon of itself. You can't impress those guys unless it's a Belgian quad, double dry-hopped IIPA, or bourbon barrel-aged coffee vanilla imperial stout.

Exactly. I was a member of a Beer of the Month Club at a local place in Post Falls. I ended my subscription after a year of IIPA's and Imperial Stouts filling my bin. I tried talking to the owner a couple times about it, and asked why, with all the styles that exist in the world, would he continually fill our bins with the same types of beer every month? After talking to him a bit I learned that most of his beer knowledge was coming from BA. :mad:

People get too damn complicated when it comes to drinking and especially critiquing beer. Just shut the f00k up, drink and enjoy it!

I can't speak for everyone but I enjoy trying to pick out the different flavors I taste in a beer. When I make a conscious effort to think about what the flavors remind me of, it gives me greater appreciation for the beer and helps me remember what it tasted like, long after I'm done drinking it. Granted if I'm on the second or third bottle of a sixer I'm probably just drinking and enjoying away...but I try to take my time when I drink a beer that I've never had before.

I may be the odd one out in this conversation, but I also like to hear people describe what they taste in beers. Some people have a palate that is so different that they taste something completely opposite of what I experienced. The key is to find somebody who makes the same judgement calls that you do, or tastes similar flavors. Then you might be more trustworthy of their opinion on beers.

Generally though, I just enjoy hearing people talk about beer. I don't really care how much they know or what their opinion is. I'd rather talk to a person who is enthusiastic than a person who is apathetic, regardless of their knowledge level.

It's cool to know beer right now. People facebooking pictures of their pliny purchases or 90 Minute IPA's because they drink the " hard " stuff. People want to be overheard about their beer knowledge... but what is beer knowledge anyway? that you've drank many beers?

My friend says he is a real beer drinker because to him IPA's are the most diverse beer there is, but I still hang out with him : ) Yes it is annoying, but what are you gonna do . .

You forgot to mention the importance of taking a picture of every beer you drink and uploading it to the internet. :drunk:

You forgot to mention the importance of taking a picture of every beer you drAnk and uploading it to the internet. :drunk:

I like posting pics of the past tense

brussels_lace.jpg

(full disclosure... not really a pic of a beer I drank, I just googled empty beer glass lacing and posted a really cool one. I'm going in the book for sure)

Uninformed people talking about beer... Slightly informed guy at a brewfest talking about beer...

I enjoy listening to anyone talk about beer. If they are uninformed, I listen politely and recall the days of gawd-awful school essays I wrote and inflicted on various professors. They are practicing and learning.

Joie de biere should be encouraged! :rockin:

There is some merit to calling some beers a session IPA. I brewed two ales this summer that came in around 3.5% abv, but used 7 oz of hops and tasted like an IPA of twice the abv. So for the sake of letting people know what they were about to drink, I just called it a session IPA. I could have called it an APA, but my dad likes IPAs, and he's one of the biggest drinkers of my homebrew, so yeah.

But I agree, 1.060 is nowhere near sessionable. Unless of course you don't feel like remembering the rest of the night.

I have a friend who makes Session IIPA's just to throw people who have no idea WTF they are talking about off.

to tell the truth I think people in general are annoying

I hate people. people are aholes and I hate aholes.

guess a career in customer service wasn't such a wise choice, but here I am
I think you took my call a couple months ago. :mug:

At this point in my life,being retired & broke most of the time,I'm left wondering "hey Motha****a,where's my jouie de vive'?"??:mad::tank:

I like to enjoy beer. I like to talk about beer but I don't pretend to know something I'm not familiar with. I'm good with drinking BMC stuff. Foot ball and all that.
I'm good with my homebrews.
I'm good with craft brews.

I'm just damn happy when someone wants to sit down with me and have a beer.
It's just a bonus if I enjoy it or I've made it and they enjoy it.

There are beers and beer styles I don't like.
There are those that are my favorites.

I like beer.
I like making it, drinking it and sharing it.

The other idiots out there can pound sand.

1) Beer Review Generator meets Peter Gammons Generator:
Pours a vivid greyish-green with a soft, pillowy head. Amazing lacing. Beautiful hoppy nose, with notes of citrus and molasses. Heavy esthery flavor, and I also get some shoe leather and old newsprint. Chalky mouthfeel and disappointing finish. And Mike Crud Ale. Score: 4.22/5.

2) The key to reviewers is to test them, then look for the reviewers you agree with/understand. I've learned not to trust RB, but BA is pretty good. I have to downgrade for IBU, ABV and whiskey, but if beers have similar IBU or ABV, or both have been oaked, then I like the BA ratings. And I trust The Brothers. Zymurgy, not so much. YMMV.
I also trust some waiters/bartenders. Brick Store Pub gets to surprise me sometimes (great Westbrook One Claw), while the bartenders at my local snob spot cannot distinguish Penelope *****cat from Pepe Le Pew.

Why does it have to be barrel aged to be good? Bells expedition is not barrel aged and if you told some beer ****** it was, they would believe you.

Here's the thing. There's a difference between being excited about something new and spilling all the new information you just learned, and being a know it all duche bag. Everyone likes what they like. I don't like IPAs, but I know people who do. That's my prerogative. I'm willing to try almost anything just to say I know now whether I like it or not. No other reason. Not to judge.

Beer people are annoying?

If it weren't for ancient beer people, there would be no such thing as civilization.

The Sumerians knew it. Read the Epic of Gilgamesh. Prostitute comes to ornery barbarian bent on destroying Sumeria. He eats the bread, yeah fine. It was after drinking the beer that the prostitute presented to him, that he washed himself up and became civilized.

The Egyptians knew it. The Pyramids were built with beer. A man liked by the gods would get 10,000 jugs of beer in the afterlife.

One Greek philosopher said, "He was a very wise man, who invented beer."

Medieval Europe, barrels had "GODISGOOD" engraved on them. Many European monasteries brewed their own beer.

Mayan prophecy talks about Ah Kantenal -- he who adulterates (or ferments) maize

Decided to check out some of my older posts and saw this one. Good read. Anyone feel differently a few years later? Things have evolved quite a bit since I posted this!

No, no... I think my point was that this place is the opposite of that.

I have to agree. It doesn't matter to this forum what a person likes. It's a matter of individual taste and people here are cool with that. Some noob could drop in, ask how to brew a Bud Light clone and I think that there would be plenty of members chiming in to help. Maybe a comment or two in jest, but people here would still help out.

I have to agree. It doesn't matter to this forum what a person likes. It's a matter of individual taste and people here are cool with that. Some noob could drop in, ask how to brew a Bud Light clone and I think that there would be plenty of members chiming in to help. Maybe a comment or two in jest, but people here would still help out.

Definitely. And re-reading my first post... I don't think my point was clear at all. I was critical without stating what I think is great about this forum and the folks here. :mug:

I agree with most if not of all reasons you guys have posted in this thread.

I have been told by people who know nothing about beer that I should start a brewery. When they say this what comes to mind is the OP's 1st post. Which is the 1st of many reasons why I would not be a professional brewer.

I am engineer, got laid off along while back, I considered being a brewer during my unemployment period. During the interview they told me I'm over qualified for the job and they didn't think they could keep me happy in this role. They recommended that I stay with engineering. They were so right.

I was in a few home brew clubs when I first started brewing, now that I have moved and rejoined another club only to stop going after awhile because of this this particular subject.

The people were pretty cool but, one particular outspoken person just made it annoying to me. Its like he started taking over the meetings with his agenda. They didn't have elected officers or an agenda meeting minutes. It was bring beer, share beer, talk beer and drink beer. Which is perfect for me up to a point. (I was a member both kinds of beer clubs. The more organized clubs had engineers, IT and scientist-like folks. They had too much business and not enough drinking and general beer talk)

Anyhow, this guy just showed up one day, my guess a friend of friend thing got him invited, seemed to take over. I had been going for 6-8 months then said f-it after this guy came into the picture.

This guy was one brewing maybe 2 years and was now AG-know-it-all. Having a discussion with him was difficult. He was wrong much of the time. I didn't want to be the annoying "know it all", 25% were AG'rs the rest were extracts brewers or noobs.

He wanted the club to brew a bourbon barrel stout. He got a 50 gallon whiskey barrel somewhere then wanted each member to brew 5 gallon batch of stout to add to this big barrel. After several meetings of this discussion I decided it wasn't for me.

I like brewing what I like to drink. While I like bourbon barrel stouts a bottle here a bottle there, not 5 gallons, much less make it a monthly club communion with 50 gallons.

I like the beer geek vs beer snob classification of beer enthusiasts. :tank:

BA - Its like anybody is qualified to write a review. Am I right?

You'd think they need to hold BJCP credentials to be objective. Or do something like rotten tomato's Beerfest

Movie Critic's (41% splat or throw the tomato) vs Audience. (75% favorable)

So the critic's hate it but the majority of movie goers like it...

BJCP vs Average Joe

No, no... I think my point was that this place is the opposite of that.

No its OK..I did get your point...mine was we have a few of those here ( Now) as well ( if you didn't have any back in 2013 as I was not here then so cant say)...

The snarky know it all types that seem to talk down to people right from their first reply . You cant get away from them no mater where you go, for long anyway.

I have not joined BA but I have gone over there and researched stuff to get a break from what I precieved as a click of A** hole attitudes over here a time or two, rather then add to their egos and ask for their help.:tank:

I do a lot of joking around here trying to get a laugh or two, but that is not what I'm talking about nor were you as you stated. That,s just fun guy banter. I totally know and admit I'm a neophyte when it comes to brewing.

I sometimes find myself answering technical questions I shouldn't knowledge wise.. but its never in a looking down my noes sort of way. That perception/entity is definitely here don't kid yourself.

I agree with most if not of all reasons you guys have posted in this thread.

I have been told by people who know nothing about beer that I should start a brewery. When they say this what comes to mind is the OP's 1st post. Which is the 1st of many reasons why I would not be a professional brewer.

I am engineer, got laid off along while back, I considered being a brewer during my unemployment period. During the interview they told me I'm over qualified for the job and they didn't think they could keep me happy in this role. They recommended that I stay with engineering. They were so right.

I was in a few home brew clubs when I first started brewing, now that I have moved and rejoined another club only to stop going after awhile because of this this particular subject.

The people were pretty cool but, one particular outspoken person just made it annoying to me. Its like he started taking over the meetings with his agenda. They didn't have elected officers or an agenda meeting minutes. It was bring beer, share beer, talk beer and drink beer. Which is perfect for me up to a point. (I was a member both kinds of beer clubs. The more organized clubs had engineers, IT and scientist-like folks. They had too much business and not enough drinking and general beer talk)

Anyhow, this guy just showed up one day, my guess a friend of friend thing got him invited, seemed to take over. I had been going for 6-8 months then said f-it after this guy came into the picture.

This guy was one brewing maybe 2 years and was now AG-know-it-all. Having a discussion with him was difficult. He was wrong much of the time. I didn't want to be the annoying "know it all", 25% were AG'rs the rest were extracts brewers or noobs.

He wanted the club to brew a bourbon barrel stout. He got a 50 gallon whiskey barrel somewhere then wanted each member to brew 5 gallon batch of stout to add to this big barrel. After several meetings of this discussion I decided it wasn't for me.

I like brewing what I like to drink. While I like bourbon barrel stouts a bottle here a bottle there, not 5 gallons, much less make it a monthly club communion with 50 gallons.

I like the beer geek vs beer snob classification of beer enthusiasts. :tank:

I'm with you. I can't stand the snooty ones. I'm very passionate about brewing but I understand that there's always going to be someone else with more experience that I can listen to and learn from. I feel like I have to offer a warning to the people I talk to about brewing just so they know how deep my rabbit hole goes.

I'm comfortable being a beer geek, but I hope nobody ever confuses me for a beer snob. :)

Latest posts

Back