Beer Not Appropriate for Royal Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaganusProeliator said:
It would have to be in firkins, on CamRA would have a fit. :)

CAMRA (bows head in reverence) say that bottled is OK as long as it is bottle-conditioned and not artificially carbonated. But then the posh folks would have take care of the yeast deposit or get a stout yeoman to pour it for them.

SpanishCastleAle said:
Would the fact that, by far, the most well known brewery on the island is Irish have any influence on how the royal family perceives beer?

Sadly they stopped brewing in the UK some years ago and now all Guinness in the UK is brewed in Dublin. Except for some imported bottles from Nigeria where they brew it slightly stronger.

Anyway, I think the younger generation of royals do enjoy a pint or two.

And YES I think the decision to exclude beer is snobbish rubbish, but what would they serve? Which brewery would they "honour" with their choice? There are some really bad national brands, and some really good. and several hundred excellent micros.. It would be a nightmare IMHO

The groom's dad himself has a beer, don't forget. He could just bring a case of his own along.

http://www.duchyoriginals.com/old_ruby_ale_1905.php

The institution of royalty, like slavery, should be fundamentally appalling to all free people even if kept as a symbolic one. Its a symbol that some people are born above others and is a relic of our species darker past that should not be tolerated in any form. I find it odd that so many Americans give a **** about this at all.

Read a bit of British history. Monarchs have done good and bad things, but the English kings served as protectors against predatory neighbors on more than one important occasion. I'm an American but a bit of an Anglophile and I believe in respect to a tradition that goes back hundreds of years.

As a result of English rule you have trial by jury, habeus corpus, and the spread of Protestantism, all good things in my opinion.

rexbanner said:
Read a bit of British history. Monarchs have done good and bad things, but the English kings served as protectors against predatory neighbors on more than one important occasion. I'm an American but a bit of an Anglophile and I believe in respect to a tradition that goes back hundreds of years.

As a result of English rule you have trial by jury, habeus corpus, and the spread of Protestantism, all good things in my opinion.

What have they done for me lately?

Also, all those things could have happened without a momarchy, like all the progress in this country, with no king.

I hate to say it and I'm sure i will be flamed for it, but... America is the next empire in decline.

It's ****E being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the ****ing earth, the most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even find a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a ****e state of affairs to be in, Tommy! And all the fresh air in the world won't make any ****ing difference! (ty rent boy)

The queen can kiss my beer stained ass for all i care. To say that the kings of england sevred as protectors is to say that the Mafia should be granted a hall pass as well. Nothing but royal extortion.

My goal is to turn the royal wedding into a drinking game....a beer drinking game! Every time someone says "royal" on tv I plan on drinking one. I figure I will be passed out by 20 minutes into it and then won't have to watch the rest of it.:mug:

beerloaf

"God save the Queen, cause tourists mean money" (The Sex Pistols). Pretty much sums up the British Monarchy.

What have they done for me lately?

Also, all those things could have happened without a momarchy, like all the progress in this country, with no king.

There would be no progress without some type of monarchy, particularly, a constitutional monarchy. Monarchy is the most natural form of human government for a large population, but obviously not the best. You need a transition. In the beginning, a good monarchy brings rule of law and protection from outside invasion, the two essentials for society. Over time, society can move towards representative democracy. There would be no U.S. as we know it without Britain.

Sometimes it really amazes me at how ignorant people still are around the world about beer. It just boggles me that people who are generally educated, affluent, and socially sophisticated are completely unlearned in what is the most sophisticated alcoholic beverage that humankind has created. Sad, really.

This is equivalent to saying that you respect slavery because America wouldn't have gotten where it did without slavery (which it wouldn't have). I live in Virginia, which was the capitol of the south during the civil war. If the state flag of Virginia carried an image of an old slavemaster driving his chattel to market I think there would and should be general outrage, despite its historic significance to the history of the state. The monarchy and royalty in general is also the embodiment and symbol of a very fundamental immorality and should not be idolized or even tolerated. Even if every monarch that ever lived was a perfectly virtuous human being and did nothing but good, the idea that a person is pre-ordained to hold power over his fellow man is not an value that any enlightened person should consign themselves to accept. For this same reason Caste and Class systems are also unethical. If you believe that people should be judged on their merits instead of the station of their birth then you should not consider royalty to be anything but wrong.

You recommended I read a little british history, I recommend you read a little Thomas Paine.

As an Englishman, I would say ale is far more 'british' than wine. That's not to say we don't make good wines, but traditionally our ales are far better. So it would probably be mainly foreign wine. It's true that the royal family was French in origin, from 1066 onwards, but sometime in the 18th century they ran out of children and we some distant relatives from what is now a part of Germany. But with all the royal inbreeding in the 18th and 19th centuries it;s quite hard to really say where they're descended from.

As for why the royals are still here, apart from tradition and the fact that we can't be bothered getting rid of them and the fact that they have no actual power, the amount they add to Britain's tourist industry is sometimes thought to be more than they cost us, thus making them a money-making scheme.

But the point is, we should all be drinking beer. Barley wines if necessary (one theory of the invention of barley wines is that the nobles wanted something to drink, ale wasn't strong enough and drinking wine was unpatriotic in the days when war with France was basically a national pasttime.)

I didn't expect Americans to really care about this wedding anyway. Most people in Britain don't; the only reason anyone I know is watching it is to play silly drinking games.

You recommended I read a little british history, I recommend you read a little Thomas Paine.

Who was, of course, British, and like the other most lauded Founders (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, etc.) was an anti-religious deist, freethinker, rationalist and proponent of critical thinking and reason--and yet most Americans find this highly disagreeable because it is incongruous with Christian doctrine. Fascinating stuff, but we should be discussing this over a beer. Oddly enough, it is Thomas Paine that makes me proud to be both a British and US Citizen.

Who are you calling a peasant?

myself of course i love beer and it's not fit for the royal family, sooooooo must be a peasant drink. I could care less really America doesn't have a king, right?

I guess beer is for the peasants, still.

Which is obviously the position of the British royals (despite it's national heritage), but you have to hand it to Obama because that dude, well, he's making his own (and of course wasn't the first President to do so).

Who cares? Were you invited to the reception and now disappointed you can't enjoy a pint of beer there? If that's the case, rant away, if not, just forget about it! :cross:

DannPM said:
Who cares? Were you invited to the reception and now disappointed you can't enjoy a pint of beer there? If that's the case, rant away, if not, just forget about it! :cross:

I returned my invitation when they declared a beer-free reception.

:D

Got that line from a book where the young Irish lad was drunk and getting out of line. His mentor got him out of the pub in a hurry. Wish I could remember the name of that book.

Oh yeah, "The Emerald Decision" I think it was.

I think one of the characters complains about the American tourists eating cold sandwiches too...

Homercidal said:
:D

Got that line from a book where the young Irish lad was drunk and getting out of line. His mentor got him out of the pub in a hurry. Wish I could remember the name of that book.

Oh yeah, "The Emerald Decision" I think it was.

He was probably shot by the over-jealous British army of occupation.

Who was, of course, British, and like the other most lauded Founders (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, etc.) was an anti-religious deist, freethinker, rationalist and proponent of critical thinking and reason--and yet most Americans find this highly disagreeable because it is incongruous with Christian doctrine. Fascinating stuff, but we should be discussing this over a beer. Oddly enough, it is Thomas Paine that makes me proud to be both a British and US Citizen.

Thomas Jefferson was born in Virginia.
John Adams was born in Braintree, Mass.
George Washington was born in Virginia.

Some would argue they're more American than our president is. They're only British because they were born before the revolution.

Thomas Jefferson was born in Virginia.
John Adams was born in Braintree, Mass.
George Washington was born in Virginia.

Some would argue they're more American than our president is. They're only British because they were born before the revolution.

No, I was saying Thomas Paine was born in Britain*. I wasn't claiming that the others were.

*EDIT: Thetford, Norfolk, England.

I'm not making this a Britain vs. America thing. I'm merely arguing that you shouldn't tolerate the image or institution of royalty regardless of its historical significance. Those people you are proud of certainly didn't.

I think I'm just more amused by the fact that they consider mini sausage rolls to be "suitable for such a prestigious occasion," but beer is not. I hope they come with toothpicks already in them, so no one ruins their white gloves.
I do believe that the mini sausage rolls would go splendidly with a $1,500 bottle of vintage port (or whatever kind of wine is good 'n fancy like).

I swear, if I hear another hairbrained reason to put tomorrow on a pedestal, my eyes are going to get stuck permanently rolled up.

Is this suitable...

07c464fd5cdbfe9815632179b0c60e4d_48679.jpeg

http://www.brewdog.com/product/royal-virility-performance

Back