Beer n00bs first brew, To little headspace? Coopers kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
Bought 2 coopers dark ale cans of goop and threw em together with sugar and all the yeast in my 10 gallon pail. I have never used beer yeast only lavlin 1118 and am worried because i only left 1 inch headspace in the top. I know if it was lavlin i would a been ok but i figure this might foam up so im keeping it at 18 degree Celsius and in my basement. I also obviously didnt add as much water as nessesary to increase flavor, I hope it was ok I use the full amount of sugar it asked for even tho in 6 litters short!

I have a 5 gallon carboy i could siphon to if you guys think i could make a mess! but that means my wine cant get racked!

Ive done coopers before and gone light on the h2o. No worries there taste wise, you will end up with less beer than advertised obvisouky, the end product will be richer and a bit heavier- made for a superb stout. You mightfind the foaming from fermentation will be a bit stiffer. Anyways, you could use a simple siphon hose into sanitised h2o for an air lock if you are worried about excessive blowoff due to a lack of headspace. I often go that route with the sugary additatives I generaly add.

Ive done coopers before and gone light on the h2o. No worries there taste wise, you will end up with less beer than advertised obvisouky, the end product will be richer and a bit heavier- made for a superb stout. You mightfind the foaming from fermentation will be a bit stiffer. Anyways, you could use a simple siphon hose into sanitised h2o for an air lock if you are worried about excessive blowoff due to a lack of headspace. I often go that route with the sugary additatives I generaly add.

luckly im using a self venting bucketing with a comferter underneath to catch crap. I was more worried about it launching it self into the ceiling lol

Ah excellent! You could use a bungee cord or some string and loop two pieces over the top so if it does blow the top it won't fly across the room. I've blown the tops before on the primary bucket, and aside from a mess on the wall there was nothing to worry about.

You'll likely need a blow off of some kind with that little head space. And the Cooper's dark ale isn't a stout. Just a creamy dark flavored ale that's actually not bad.

Ah excellent! You could use a bungee cord or some string and loop two pieces over the top so if it does blow the top it won't fly across the room. I've blown the tops before on the primary bucket, and aside from a mess on the wall there was nothing to worry about.

Looks like its kicking up today, the bucket looks full but no mess. The cold basement is probably helping keep it quite.

Back