Beer Line Calculation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
I am migrating to a new keezer in the basement. From the out of the kegs to the faucet is 16'. Rise is 6 feet. I am trying to figure out my line thickness... I think I am going to have to go partial 3/16 and partial 1/4. Is there a best way to do this? for instance, should the bigger or smaller hose be closer to the kegs or taps?

Does anyone have a calculator for this? I am having trouble with the calculations and how to balance this so it comes out well.

Currently, I have a kegerator with a 3' line and I just pour at 5-8 PSI and all is well.

This calculator determines length... so you need to work backwards... You want length =16ft...

set pressure to 7psi, rise to 6ft and hose diameter to 1//4" ... you'll get a length of 15.4 ft

As much as I always recommend Mike's calculator as the only one worth using, it's not built to handle trunk and choker configurations.
Also, don't use an arbitrary CO2 pressure when coming up with beer line solutions, use the pressure that will maintain the desired level of carbonation at the desired dispensing temperature.

Either refer to our favorite carbonation table or use something like the Brewer's Friend calculator (which has a broader temperature range), plug in your dispensing temperature and desired carbonation level, find the proper CO2 pressure, and design the dispensing system to handle that (at least).

If you plug in 1/4" ID with a 6 foot rise, use a reasonable CO2 pressure of 11 psi, and keep the default FG and flow rate, you're looking at almost 30 feet of line. That's a bit of line to coil up and keep cool. Otoh, if you plug in 3/16" ID line, it is way too short at just under 7.5 feet. That ain't gonna work.

Not having a clue on how to solve this hard-core-math wise, my SWAG is go with 15 feet of the 1/4" followed by 5 feet of the 3/16" choker to start. If the flow rate seems anemic, trim the choker.

There are barbed reducers available for the trunk/choker connections...

Cheers!

Ok cool. Should the narrower segment be closer to the keg side or the faucet side?

I guess my question is why mess with different diameter hoses? Based on Mike's calculator, if you set pressure to 8psi, you need 19ft of 1/4" tubing. You said keg to tap is 16ft, so it'll reach. Isn't it much easier just doing it this way?

Easier yes, but while reading I am seeing multiple experts say "Set your PSI to whatever carb level and temperature you have, then adjust hose length", rather than adjusting the PSI to fit the hose.

I would serve at 12 psi at 38 F to be at 2.4 units of CO2. This means many feet of 3/16 ID tubing. I use 15 feet for a 24 inch rise. Check a chart and remember you can always cut some off to tweak it.

Oh hells no.
That's every bit as wrong as the other 99% of "calculators" that all make the same fundamental mistake: Vinyl 3/16” ID 3.00 psi/ft
It is the single biggest reason why there are so many "Help! My new kegerator makes too much foam!" threads on HBT...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back