BEER KITS BELOW COST.....But I need your help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I ordered my kit I watched the Extract Brew Day with Victor of NorCal Brewing Solutions - Part1 and then I watched all of the rest of the videos.

My Deschutes Black Butte Porter Clone recipe kit showed up this morning. As luck would have it the kids had a snow day so school was canceled. Might as well take advantage and schedule an impromptu brew day ( ;

After unpacking and checking all the ingredients I was getting a little excited! It's been almost 1 1/2 years since I last brewed an extract, time to dig out some of that old equipment. Before I switched to AG I was using a small cooler to do mini-mashes in. As I set up my equipment I was thinking about how to incorporate my current brew day process with the way I used to do things... It made sense to use some of the water I would heat up, to sterilize my CFC, in the mini-mash. Before the water reached boiling temps I scooped some out of my BK and used it to mash the specialty grains. Then I continued to clean my CFC as normal.

Towards the end of my extract brewing hobby I was doing full volume boils and I wanted to do that on this day also. Once my BK was empty I went ahead and filled it again to my target pre-boil volume (minus the mash volume I expected to drain), and set to heating it up. As it was approaching boil temps I started pulling off the 1st runnings from my mini-mash cooler and set it aside. Then I started adding the hot water from my BK slowly until the grain bed temp rose to 165F. I let that rest for 5-10 minutes while I added the 1st runnings to the BK and cranked up the heat in the BK again. My process is a little different from your typical steeping for specialty grains but I was intentionally looking for some way to overlap the mash with heating of water. What I came up with seemed to work out pretty well. By the time the grains had sat in the cooler for an hour the CFC was clean and I had hot water ready to batch sparge with.

The boil process was like a trip down memory lane ( ; Get the boil going... stop to add the DME... LOL ya'll know the drill. Speaking of the drill, I got a chance to try out my FREE whirlpool paddle that @Jaybird sent me recently. That thing works awesome!

One of the things that really caught my attention while watching the video of Victor was the way he transferred the wort between two buckets. It really aerates the wort great! I actually sanitized two buckets today because I wanted to give it a try. But when I was standing there looking at wort drain out of my CFC I just couldn't bring myself to lift up anything heavy! One of the nice benefits of this CFC is it really does a good job of aerating the wort just by draining. Liquid yeast, dry yeast... it doesn't matter, they all take off within 24hrs or less.

So... I ended up with 5 1/4 gal of 1.065 wort today :mug:

It was fun too! Less equipment to set up, and CLEAN up! Thanks @Jaybird for the the discount ( ;

IMG_20160104_103427.jpg

IMG_20160104_111859.jpg

IMG_20160104_112829.jpg

IMG_20160104_124517.jpg

IMG_20160104_132940.jpg

IMG_20160104_143301.jpg

IMG_20160104_145753.jpg

IMG_20160104_150925.jpg

IMG_20160104_151232.jpg

After I ordered my kit I watched the Extract Brew Day with Victor of NorCal Brewing Solutions - Part1 and then I watched all of the rest of the videos.

My Deschutes Black Butte Porter Clone recipe kit showed up this morning. As luck would have it the kids had a snow day so school was canceled. Might as well take advantage and schedule an impromptu brew day ( ;

After unpacking and checking all the ingredients I was getting a little excited! It's been almost 1 1/2 years since I last brewed an extract, time to dig out some of that old equipment. Before I switched to AG I was using a small cooler to do mini-mashes in. As I set up my equipment I was thinking about how to incorporate my current brew day process with the way I used to do things... It made sense to use some of the water I would heat up, to sterilize my CFC, in the mini-mash. Before the water reached boiling temps I scooped some out of my BK and used it to mash the specialty grains. Then I continued to clean my CFC as normal.

Towards the end of my extract brewing hobby I was doing full volume boils and I wanted to do that on this day also. Once my BK was empty I went ahead and filled it again to my target pre-boil volume (minus the mash volume I expected to drain), and set to heating it up. As it was approaching boil temps I started pulling off the 1st runnings from my mini-mash cooler and set it aside. Then I started adding the hot water from my BK slowly until the grain bed temp rose to 165F. I let that rest for 5-10 minutes while I added the 1st runnings to the BK and cranked up the heat in the BK again. My process is a little different from your typical steeping for specialty grains but I was intentionally looking for some way to overlap the mash with heating of water. What I came up with seemed to work out pretty well. By the time the grains had sat in the cooler for an hour the CFC was clean and I had hot water ready to batch sparge with.

The boil process was like a trip down memory lane ( ; Get the boil going... stop to add the DME... LOL ya'll know the drill. Speaking of the drill, I got a chance to try out my FREE whirlpool paddle that @Jaybird sent me recently. That thing works awesome!

One of the things that really caught my attention while watching the video of Victor was the way he transferred the wort between two buckets. It really aerates the wort great! I actually sanitized two buckets today because I wanted to give it a try. But when I was standing there looking at wort drain out of my CFC I just couldn't bring myself to lift up anything heavy! One of the nice benefits of this CFC is it really does a good job of aerating the wort just by draining. Liquid yeast, dry yeast... it doesn't matter, they all take off within 24hrs or less.

So... I ended up with 5 1/4 gal of 1.065 wort today :mug:

It was fun too! Less equipment to set up, and CLEAN up! Thanks @Jaybird for the the discount ( ;

NICE! Keep us posted how fermentation progresses and how it is turning out...

GREAT PICTS!

Cheers
Jay

One of the things I luv about the BSG brewing buckets is they are taller than most brewing buckets. The other thing I luv about them is the lids seal much tighter than cheaper/shorter brewing buckets. That being said... I can usually tell when the airlock starts bubbling away at warp speed during the first 24hrs of fermentation that the krausen will probably start to push through the air lock. I typically only experience this when trying to ferment say close to or at 6gal in these buckets With a really active yeast strain. This batch is only 5 1/4gal so... this yeast strain is rocking and rolling!

I've learned from my own personal experience that it's a waste of time to try and baby this situation by cleaning up the airlock and then replace it... just to find it full of foam again within an hour or less. My simple way of dealing with it has been to clean up the lid with Starsan and a paper towel. Once it's clean I will use my sprayer full of Starsan to heavily mist a clean paper towel, then I just lay the towel over the grommet. I will let the foam push through the grommet and collect under the paper towel for hours... even overnight while I'm sleeping... or while I'm at work during the day. My thought on this is the volume of CO2 being produced by fermentation coupled with the sanitized paper towel acting as a filter will keep any nasty bugs from getting in the brew. This technique has worked well for me many, many times now, and usually after the beer has been fermenting for 2 days or so I can put the air lock back in again. Must be a really good yeast strain LOL!

I can sleep comfortably tonight knowing that I won't find a... mess on the ceiling of my storage room in the morning ( ; just a little foam on top of the lid :mug:

IMG_20160105_220517.jpg

IMG_20160105_220753.jpg

My simple way of dealing with it has been to clean up the lid with Starsan and a paper towel.

I'm glad you found a simple solution that works for you but thought I would ask if have you considered using a blowoff tube instead of an airlock?

Has anyone done a Deschutes Chainbreaker extract? ..if the discount is even still going? I love that beer! Would enjoy seeing how close your kit is to the real thing.

Is this discount still available?

If you are part of the original thread and you posted in this thread before the drawing then yes. Just let me know the post # and what beer you want and I will get you a discount code to use.
@Marc77 Let me know the post # and I will shoot you a code too

Cheers
Jay

I'm glad you found a simple solution that works for you but thought I would ask if have you considered using a blowoff tube instead of an airlock?
Yes, thanks for suggesting that. I've tried using a blow off tube in the past but they always would get plugged up. I suppose in hind sight I could always modify my bucket lids so that I could use a blow off tube with a larger diameter... but what I've been doing is still working ( ;

My House Porter Kit came yesterday. A quick look gave a good impression. I'll be one of the ones documenting my brewing and giving a critique.

I am starting the House Porter Kit today. I have been brewing since July 1, 2010 so I am not a beginner.

The instructions provided are more complete than any I have previously seen. The only things I would add are something about yeast rehydration, and fermentation temperatures.

The crush on the grains looks very good.
IMG_20160115_122028_zpsgr1nhgbg.jpg

The muslin bag could stand to be a little longer, allowing it to be tied to the pot
handle while steeping. It would also improve water flow through the grains.
IMG_20160115_130043_zpssqenwym9.jpg

Warming up the LME so that it will pour more easily.
20160115_131707_zpsgelmoapn.jpg

Nice dark color from the steeping grains.
20160115_135050_zps4sxslxts.jpg

Drying the grains to use in bread.
20160115_135919_zpshwzzx3ok.jpg

Boil started DME and Fuggle hops are in.
20160115_143154_zpsa0swzb6w.jpg

I usually bag my hops so all the worth goes into the fermenter. I decided to just dump them in this time.

All ingredients are in! About 10 minutes left in the boil.
20160115_152055_zpsmy3222kx.jpg

BOIL OVER!!!
20160115_153018_zpsldqgcw3y.jpg

Never had a boil over with less than 10 minutes left! It happened when the worth came back to a boil. Fortunately it was a small one...

It's cooling. I am too lazy to use my immersion chiller so it is going to take a while.

Aerating the wort.
20160115_174259_zps24xkrmin.jpg

OG 1.045 from a target of 1.043 Within measurement error range.

Now a few weeks for fermentation then bottle conditioning. Then a taste to see how much ageing will be needed.
So far so good.

Here is a picture of the start of brew day with all the ingredients laid out.

Brewed it on 1/10 with 2 friends who have never brewed. Will be bottling in a week or 2 with the same friends.

Instructions are well written and the only complaint so far was the grain bag size was too small for the grain provided

I will post more pictures and a complete review after bottling and trying the beer.

Here is a picture of the start of brew day with all the ingredients laid out.

Brewed it on 1/10 with 2 friends who have never brewed. Will be bottling in a week or 2 with the same friends.

Instructions are well written and the only complaint so far was the grain bag size was too small for the grain provided

I will post more pictures and a complete review after bottling and trying the beer.

Killer feedback on the grain bag. We are going to make a few little changes there. I think you are the 2nd person to comment on that. Were on it.

Keep us posted...

Cheers
Jay

Jay- Ever considered doing an all-grain kit that is everything but the base grains? I buy Pale and MO in bulk, so generally shy away from kits and piece the recipes out, but an "everything but the base" would be appealing.

Jay- Ever considered doing an all-grain kit that is everything but the base grains? I buy Pale and MO in bulk, so generally shy away from kits and piece the recipes out, but an "everything but the base" would be appealing.

Now that would be cool.

I would love to see something like that

I got the SN Narwhal kit and it was a very nice kit. Included supplies were better than other kits I've bought. Fermented well but it seems to have stuck 13 points high at 1.036. Maybe the issue is I didn't keep it warm enough during primary. Brewed this in the 10th of Jan.

Update on my brew day, post #121 and #123.
At 2 weeks it had fermented from 1.065 down to approx. 1.026 - 1.028. It's been fermenting a month now, and the S.G. is down to 1.022, but when I lifted the lid my nose said bananas. Doesn't surprise me because I had a REALLY active fermentation early on. My store room is approx. in the mid 60's so I am thinking fermentation was a wee bit warm (in January LOL). I am going to move this bucket into my fermentation chamber and crank up the heat. Hopefully the clean up crew will do their thing ( ;

Edit: I double checked my S.G. again tonight (2/3/16) and it has stalled at 1.028, it's not down to 1.022 like I thought it was last night when I checked. Gently swirled the yeast back into suspension tonight and moved the bucket into my ferm chamber. Will check it again in a week or so...

At 2 weeks it had fermented from 1.065 down to approx. 1.026 - 1.028. It's been fermenting a month now, and the S.G. is down to 1.022, but when I lifted the lid my nose said bananas. Doesn't surprise me because I had a REALLY active fermentation early on. My store room is approx. in the mid 60's so I am thinking fermentation was a wee bit warm (in January LOL). I am going to move this bucket into my fermentation chamber and crank up the heat. Hopefully the clean up crew will do their thing ( ;

Bananas you say? Interesting.. 60* may have been a tad wee bit to cool the the Mangrove yeast. Yeah I am thinking crank it.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

Cheers
Jay

I got the SN Narwhal kit and it was a very nice kit. Included supplies were better than other kits I've bought. Fermented well but it seems to have stuck 13 points high at 1.036. Maybe the issue is I didn't keep it warm enough during primary. Brewed this in the 10th of Jan.

Have you warmed it up a little and got that FG down? We brewed this in house a couple of times and the the FG was 1.023-1.024 and oddly enough it got there in about 6 days.
Maybe try a little "rock and roll" Take your fermenting bucket and just do a little rock in a circle to roust the yeast. Getting the temp up a tad will help for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Have you warmed it up a little and got that FG down? We brewed this in house a couple of times and the the FG was 1.023-1.024 and oddly enough it got there in about 6 days.
Maybe try a little "rock and roll" Take your fermenting bucket and just do a little rock in a circle to roust the yeast. Getting the temp up a tad will help for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Yes, this thing took off like a beast and then slowed down and stalled. It was probably 64 degrees. Yes I've rock and rolled it. I pitched another pack of yeast and moved it to a 71 degree ferm chamber. Hopefully that will get it going.

Yes, this thing took off like a beast and then slowed down and stalled. It was probably 64 degrees. Yes I've rock and rolled it. I pitched another pack of yeast and moved it to a 71 degree ferm chamber. Hopefully that will get it going.

SSOB (brew club) meeting last night. We had a new guy bring this he made as his 3rd beer ever. I asked his what his ferment temps were and FG. He said he tried to keep it at 68-69* and it finished at 1.026-27 A little higher than we hoped for but MAN was it GOOD! AND it was only 4 weeks old.

I sure hope yours turns out as good as this one! Good god I was impressed. I am thinking of brewing it myself and adding a little bourbon essence to the keg at bottling time.

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20160203_201614928.jpg

House Porter bottling day. 51 bottles.
20160206_225712_zpsjbf5rap3.jpg

FG 1.015
20160206_225856_zpsewphaeed.jpg

Nice color.
20160206_225932_zpsuwd1j73o.jpg

The hydrometer sample tastes good. Looking forward to the fully carbonated brew!

Mainstay Mist
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455235354.952808.jpg

Very tasty. Liked how everything was already pre measured and marked for boil time additions. Lost all the pictures of unpacking the kit and of brew day, when my phone cratered.

Used 6gal RO water, followed brew day directions verbatim. Fermented at 55deg for 10 days, raised to 60deg for 5 days, racked to keg. Sat on 12psi gas at 32deg for 4 weeks. OG 1.052/FG 1.012

mainstay mist
View attachment 336887

very tasty. Liked how everything was already pre measured and marked for boil time additions. Lost all the pictures of unpacking the kit and of brew day, when my phone cratered.

Used 6gal ro water, followed brew day directions verbatim. Fermented at 55deg for 10 days, raised to 60deg for 5 days, racked to keg. Sat on 12psi gas at 32deg for 4 weeks. Og 1.052/fg 1.012

NICE!

Love the picture.....

Thanks for sharing! Now share the beer! LOL

Cheers
Jay

Edit: I double checked my S.G. again tonight (2/3/16) and it has stalled at 1.028, it's not down to 1.022 like I thought it was last night when I checked. Gently swirled the yeast back into suspension tonight and moved the bucket into my ferm chamber. Will check it again in a week or so...

Update time: The Porter clone has been sitting in the ferm chamber set to 70F for 11 days since I last checked the S.G. I can now say the gravity has dropped to 1.022 Yeah! No more :ban: (banana) :ban: smell either, yippee! It really is starting to develop a Porter flavor as well and it should be ready to bottle soon. Estimated ABV is 5.6% :mug:

Brought out a couple bottles of the almond joy kit to the Chicago home brewers group meeting and it was a hit! People loved it. There was a bit of talks of trying to brew a all grain version to get some more body but all in all it was great.

That was a great beer. I loved the coconut. The beer could benifit with more body. A all grain version would also be great.

Finally got the Black Butte Porter Clone going. I made 5.5 gallons of wort and ended up with 5.33 in the fermenter. 1.065 O.G. Could have been a bit of stratification but I did a full boil so this should be minimal. Looks like this is going to be an imperial black butte :D. Fermenting at 68F will probably let it go for 2-3 weeks before bottle conditioning.

Had a nice sized krausen 12 hours after pitching. It's been about 18 hours since pitching and things are going nuts. Krausen looks like it's about to blow over - will probably need to rig up a blowoff tube before the night is over.

:mug:

Almost a month in bottles now for the Black Butte Porter Clone recipe that I brewed back in January. I put a bottle in the fridge tonight and also cracked one open to try. Carbing up nicely, still a bit green so will probably let the rest condition another month. Dang... I hate waiting ( ;

Just realized I never gave a taste review.

It is the house porter kit. I am not great at describing flavors but here goes:

It has a great flavor initially. I get chocolate and coffee. Though the flavor fades off as soon as you swallow? If you get what I mean.. There is not much head and it dissipates quickly. The mouthfeel is very thin. I think I would add something, maybe some flaked oats, if I did it again to increase the mouthfeel.

I feel I did everything right in brewing this beer.

Overall. It is a refreshing tasty beer. Just a bit thinner than I expect for a beer like this.

Almost 2 months in bottles now, for the kit I brewed back in January. It's still green but improving. Will check in again towards the end of next month!

Back