Beer kit add pack vs. DME for pre-hopped canned kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has ever used the Austin Hombrew Supply "add pack"--DME, dextrose, maltodextrin with a canned (pre-hopped) kit versus just adding 2 lbs. of dme. If someone has used both (with the same beer), which turned out better?

I may have to do test batches with both, just wondering if I can draw upon the collective experiences of some people here prior to the test batches.

As for background (if you've read this far) I am asking because I am in the preliminary stages of putting together an introductory homebrewing class, and due to space/time constraints it's going to have to be a pre-hopped kit done in a small group. No steeping grains, no hop additions, no boiling. I've never brewed a pre-hopped kit, and obviously I want to get the end product as good as possible as each participant will take home some of that beer.

The add on kit seems to be the same as Cooper's brew enhancer 2. same constituents. I use a pre-hopped can of Cooper's (bittering only) with a 3lb bag of plain DME with 2oz of hops for my average mid gravity ales.They're better at 5.5 gallons vs 6G as well. After having used both,I like adding the 3lb bag of plain DME better.

Latest posts

Back