beer kettle for tomato sauce!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatsby174

Reaction score
Every year my bride and I process a total of about 5 bushels of roma tomatoes and cook it down to can as tomato sauce. The romas were very juicy this year and yielded 8 gallons from 2 bushels. Since I upgraded to ag, I was excited to use my 10g brew kettle and dark star burner to boil the sauce down in the garage. What I didn't expect was the hot break to be 10x worse than wort! I actually lost a couple drops of foam into the concrete floor. Can't wait to use the valve to bottle the jars instead of that stupid laddle I usually have to use! Anyway, anyone else use their brew kettle for sauce in the fall? uploadfromtaptalk1410634688762.jpg

That's funny! I've got a ton of tomatoes I just pulled from my garden and planned on using my kettle for the exact same thing! :)

Not yet... I'm waiting on having a garden big enough to produce masses of tomatoes. I love a nice roasted sauce though...

I thought of this but didn't do sauce this year. Is there any concern of weird tasties getting into the kettle? Or a thorough scrubbing should take care of it no problem.

I'm all for multi purposing.

I make chicken, turkey, and beef stock/soup in mine. Or large batches of anything for that matter, like Indian stew. The high walls also prevent that annoying splattering (tomato) sauces are infamous for.

My friend's mom has a great recipe for homemade sauce. I really need to get some kind of garden growing next season and plant some romas.

Back