Beer has a little sweet / taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbracknell

Reaction score
I let it ferment for 2.5 weeks, carbonate for 3 plus weeks to let the yeast eat up the sugars and some of the sweetness with it..Its a Mr Beer extract. Its like my yeast didnt eat enough of the malt or something. has a slight syrup type taste. still drinks well ans has a kick.

I find that a lot of extract beers have a sweet little tang to them in the finish. It is hard to explain. Perhaps this is what you are tasting.

However, by my count your beer is only 6 weeks old. Almost all of my beers take 2 months or more to bloom. Yes they are drinkable and even tasty before then, but the sweet spot seems to be past 2 months.

Cbaddad said:
I find that a lot of extract beers have a sweet little tang to them in the finish. It is hard to explain. Perhaps this is what you are tasting.

However, by my count your beer is only 6 weeks old. Almost all of my beers take 2 months or more to bloom. Yes they are drinkable and even tasty before then, but the sweet spot seems to be past 2 months.

Thanks for the quick response. interesting hobby.
I went back and checked my calendar to see what I did on these and found where I brewed them on March 2nd, bottled on March 16th. tried the first one on March 30th taste about the same as the ones I put into the fridge yeasterday and tasting today.
one was a Canadian Blond extract the other was a Belgian Lager.

I would wait another week or two and see. Early on, i drank my beer too quickly and the last bottles were always the best.

Time is your friend (within reason).

Good luck.

Cbaddad said:
I would wait another week or two and see. Early on, i drank my beer too quickly and the last bottles were always the best.

Time is your friend (within reason).

Good luck.

will do. Thanks for the advice!

I let it ferment for 2.5 weeks, carbonate for 3 plus weeks to let the yeast eat up the sugars and some of the sweetness with it..Its a Mr Beer extract. Its like my yeast didnt eat enough of the malt or something. has a slight syrup type taste. still drinks well ans has a kick.

My friend has a Mr. Beer, and she likes it. I've found that all the beers pretty much taste the same, no matter what "kind" they are as they have basically the same ingredients and the same yeast and they don't have fresh grains although a couple of them add hops.

I'm not a fan of the Mr. Beer stuff for that reason. It's drinkable, but it's not what I would call good craft-type beer. I've found them much as you've described, with a slight syrup taste.

I tried the Mr. Beer, once. I thought the beer tasted way to sweet, but my batch was way over carbonated. I would invest in a traditional kit and start with extract brewing, so much more control and better results.

Back