Beer Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkali860

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

As a very generous present, I received a trip to pick out beer glassware. I already have a very nice Tulip glass that I use daily. The thing is, I use this for sours, stouts, IPA's and everything in between. I don't mind this, but with this present I have the opportunity to expand my glassware beyond the tulip glass.

My real question lies in wondering what would be 6-8 types of glassware people use, and for what beers would you use them for? What glassware is most useful for you? Any favorites or ones that just collect dust?

Cheers!

I pretty much understand all the traditional styles and glassware pairings through talking to people and reading, but I guess my question is geared on a more personal basis. What is everyones favorite glassware? What would you guys suggest to buy, or anything to steer clear of?

Thanks!

I like the Spiegelau glasses.
They have a dedicated glass for almost every style.
I have their IPA glass and the tulips and I love them! They look great and supposedly they are specially designed to best accentuate the flavors and aroma of the style they are designed for. My palate is not that refined to where I can really tell but they don't taste worse so I call it a win.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I love glassware and collect glasses from trips close and far. Anything from Budweiser, Negra Modelo, to small Heineken Glass my brother brought back from Holland. I also have ordered a few glasses from Belgium In a Box.

Here is a picture of the glasses that I use the most.

Pint - Amber, Lager, Everyday beers
Snifter - High Gravity Belgian Beers, Barley wines
Pilsner - Light Lagers, and Pilsners
IPA Glass - IPA
Goblet - Other Belgian and specialty beers.
Tall Tulip - Witbiers

I do find that the IPA glass can make a big difference. Also, the Tall Tulip does seem to make a Witbier taste better. A lot of the glasses I have have etching on the bottom to create nucleation sites to provide a continuous stream of bubbles.

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

My favorite beer glass is the 20 ounce Weizen glass. I enjoy the tall glass for the display of the color or clarity of a beer.

Glasses are an awesome thing to collect, especially if you were able to pick them up that had been filled with the beer they represented.
You really should have at least two for every style, if you're truly a snob. :)

I like to collect brewery glasses and use those. The style of beer they normally produce will work well in the glass type they sell (usually). Unfortunately I had one of them tip over and the thing broke with barely any impact. Now I am also looking for "stock" glassware so that I don't break the ones that I collect. For me the goblet is very versatile. I also have very thick, heavy, glass mugs that I bought for $1 each. They work great for a number of styles too.

Here's some that I use most often;
Thirsty Dog shaker glass from the brewery over in Akron;

Dollar Tree glass I use most often with my Burton Ale;

An old pilsner glass (one of two left!) I got at the flea market over by the speedway;

Cooper's no-nick;

I have also bought a few glasses from The Flying Saucer. They sometimes have a used glass sale for $1 a glass. I would guess other bars may do the same.

I have a few glasses that I got while visiting Belgium that are retired to a shelf on the wall. A few that are chipped and not usable but still look good for display.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like the Nonics, tulips, and the IPA glass. Also good to have a few Pilsners on hand. I'd say Pints as well, but who doesn't already have a gazillion of those?

If it isn't a real aroma centric beer or high gravity, I pick the Nonic as my everyday glass. I like the crown mark on mine lettin' me know I poured myself an honest pint. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back