Beer giving me headaches - Fusel alchohols?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltymirv

Reaction score
I kegged my pilsner last week and I have drank it twice now. Both times I noticed I felt way more buzzed than I should have from a 5% beer and had a headache about half an hour after. The day after I still have a headache and feel hungover. One time I had two glasses and the other time I had 1 glass. I wasn't dehydrated or anything, seemed like a regular day. I also didn't drink any other alchohol with it. I can drink my other beers fine, I don't get that buzzed effect or headaches from them.

The beer does NOT taste "hot" or solventy like you would expect from excess fusel alcohols. I also don't taste any green apple/cidery flavors so I don't think it had excess acetaldehyde either. The beer honestly tastes great, it just gives me a headache.

I did some research and found that this can be caused by fusel alcohol production. If this is is the case, is there anything I can do salvage this beer? I was thinking of pitching a brett blend, as it might turn those higher alchohols into some tasty esters?

The recipe was pretty basic:

8lbs Pils

1lb Rye malt

2oz CaraBohemian

Pekko for bittering

~4 oz Saaz from 30 minutes - 5 minutes

Mash ph was 5.4, I didn't use any salts in the water, just a little bit of lactic acid and campden tablet.

My wort aeration consists of transferring from the kettle via autosiphon (which we all know aerates just fine). I always try to splash the wort around as it comes out of the tubing. I've never had an issue with any of my lagers (or ales) using this method. My starters I just do intermittent shaking.

I harvested about 12oz of 34/70 slurry from a rauchbier that I had kegged the day before brewing the pilsner. The rauchbier turned out awesome! No fusel or headache problem, very smooth. The slurry was just a big scoop from the bottom of the fermenter, so it had trub and all that gunk in it as well. I put this into a 1L starter with some yeast nutrient the same day I harvested (day before before brewing the pils)

After brewing the pils, I put it in my chamber with the regulator set to 50F, I got impatient waiting and pitched the starter when the wort was at 60F.

A krausen was noticed the next day. After 3 days I bumped the temp to hover between 52-54F. On day 4 I noticed the fermentation slowing down, I bumped the temp up again to 54-56F. On day 6 58-60F. On day 7 58-60F. It stayed there until day 10, where I began to cold crash.

One weird thing is that the final gravity turned out way low at 1.004. I was expecting something more like 1.012. I'm still not sure what happened, but thought maybe my first runnings sat for too long while waiting for my batch sparge to heat up? The beta amylase may have chewed down whatever alpha was making. This is still a mystery. I did a protein rest which ended up around 130F and my mash temp was like 160F (I overshot both, was going for 125F and 154F). My thermometer and hydrometer have been checked and are working fine.

Did I pitch too warm or did I ramp up too fast? I thought 34/70 was fairly tolerant, but this was a slurry harvest so maybe the second generation is more picky than the first? I used a similar schedule for the rauchbier fermentation, but it got the first generation of the yeast.

I have had a few batches of low abv beer that having one started a hangover and 2 was like drinking more than 12 normally, I just dumped those and brewed more.

What I'm suggesting is that if you feel like the next morning after drinking many shortly after 1 or 2 then something is wrong. IDK lager yeast but warm temps does it.

Yea I'm willing to dump it. I'm going to let it sit for a while longer to see if it mellows, but was curious if adding brett would help. I was thinking brett might metabolizes the higher alcohols or even esterify them, which would be awesome

1.004 is low for final gravity. I wonder if it got contaminated, which can lead to fusels. It's happened to me, more than a few times. Oops. Pay closer attention to sanitation, replace all plastic and rubber components in your fermentation equipment, and hope for better next time. If you can put up with the headaches, and the beer still tastes okay, you can still drink it, it is still safe to drink. But if anything else goes off with it, or you just can't handle the headaches, time to dump it.

Brett won't help.

I see you used 4 Oz of hops. Alrhough not excessive. , it may be the souvenir of your headaches. Some lkind of hop allergy or intolerance.

I'm somewhat skeptical that the alcohol in one glass of lager is causing a headache and hangover the next day.
I'm thinking its something else, Chanoc may be right, a hop intolerance?
How much of the Pekko hops were used?
Have you noticed any issues when drinking super Hoppy IPA's?
If drinking the beer makes you feel crappy, I'd dump it and move on instead of adding the Brett.

Why dump something someo ne else may.
Mayté a friend or relative may act as a Guinea Pig and drink a Fede.

1.004 is low for final gravity. I wonder if it got contaminated, which can lead to fusels. It's happened to me, more than a few times. Oops. Pay closer attention to sanitation, replace all plastic and rubber components in your fermentation equipment, and hope for better next time. If you can put up with the headaches, and the beer still tastes okay, you can still drink it, it is still safe to drink. But if anything else goes off with it, or you just can't handle the headaches, time to dump it.

Brett won't help.
Could an infection really take hold that fast? The beer was kegged within 10 days of brewing and it was at lager temps the whole time. I'm really skeptical of that happening, although the low FG is a mystery

I see you used 4 Oz of hops. Alrhough not excessive. , it may be the souvenir of your headaches. Some lkind of hop allergy or intolerance.
Possibly. I drink IPAs and other hoppy beers a lot. It may be specific to saaz though?
I'm somewhat skeptical that the alcohol in one glass of lager is causing a headache and hangover the next day.
I'm thinking its something else, Chanoc may be right, a hop intolerance?
How much of the Pekko hops were used?
Have you noticed any issues when drinking super Hoppy IPA's?
If drinking the beer makes you feel crappy, I'd dump it and move on instead of adding the Brett.
I was thinking fusel alcohols were causing the headaches, not regular ethanol.

The pekko was just for bittering, I used .2 oz. I drink and brew IPAs all the time without issue. I've used saaz a lot, but never this much.

Another possibility is that I didn't rinse the oxyclean well enough from my keg?? Would that give you a headache? I always rinse 3x with water but who knows

Why dump something someo ne else may.
Mayté a friend or relative may act as a Guinea Pig and drink a Fede.

If you want 5 gallons of headache beer come and get it! It tastes great, super fresh, hoppy pilsner. I'm really dissapointed this beer is giving me headaches

Yes, an infection can happen super fast. It depends on the particular organism, but there are certainly thousands of organisms capable of ruining beer very quickly, in a matter of a day or two. Sometimes that's all it takes. If sanitation is done well, this should pretty much never happen, but if any part of your process is less than perfect, it is still a possibility.

Yes, an infection can happen super fast. It depends on the particular organism, but there are certainly thousands of organisms capable of ruining beer very quickly, in a matter of a day or two. Sometimes that's all it takes. If sanitation is done well, this should pretty much never happen, but if any part of your process is less than perfect, it is still a possibility.
Interesting. Thank you

Aha! Oxyclean is NOT a sanitizer! You really should use a no-rinse sanitizer such as StarSan (the yellow kind).
After I rinsed the oxyclean with water I ran star san through the keg as well. Sorry that wasn't clear

Update: I tried the beer again last night and no headaches! Also no buzzed effect (besides what is expected). Whatever compound was bothering me seems to have lagered out

40 years ago my father lived in a major brewery town and one of his friends worked for one of the big breweries. They had tested a method of very slowly stirring fermenting wort. Not enough to aerate but enough to keep yeast in suspension. They were able to ferment many times faster than normal. The idea was to find a way to utilize their fermenters more efficiently and increase production levels. Everything was great except that everyone who drank the beer got a headache. As far as I know they never figured out exactly why this was or what was different.
I am not saying you did something like this, but merely pointing out that yeast can do some strange things that are not easily explainable.

I find this post VERY interesting and I've had the EXACT same problem recently. There are a few comments on my post as well that helped me figure out possible causes, although this post is adding even more potential causes, like possible contamination etc.. which I also suspected. If you want to check mine out, it's here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=636576 It seems as though we are in a similar situation. The beer tastes just fine, same as your's and the ABV is fairly normal on mine and it has behaved no different than any other beer, really. All except for these mysterious headaches.

Aside from possible causes like fusel alcohol or other byproducts of alcohol creation, here is what I have discovered, through experimentation when drinking them. How long has it been in the fridge? Is every bottle causing this, or only some? Are you drinking it on a full stomach or empty? The extra variables seem to be making a difference for me. When it spent only 2 days in the fridge, quick headaches. On an empty stomach or not really full, instant headache. When it sits in the fridge for 3-6 days and on a full stomach, no headache, even after 3 beer. On a full stomach (fish and chips and peanut squash), ample water beforehand and drinking 3 of the same beers from this batch, no headache that one night. I have never got to 3 beers on this batch without headache, except that one night. The only difference "seems" to be, longer fridge conditioning? If that makes sense? I am thinking that the yeast is an important variable here. Seems as if it is not shut down (cold crashed) for longer periods, this headache potential increases considerably. This is a confusing and funny problem. It's also a shame this had to happen with a otherwise perfectly good beer.

I am wondering now about the hops thing too. Whether it is an allergy or intolerance to a certain kind? That was an interesting theory. I never used Cashmere hops before and it was added to this batch as a dry hop on day 7, to a pre hopped can of Cooper's, Preacher's Hefe Wheat. There are some interesting replies here, that were not in my post (even though there were some excellent replies on my post too), and they have got me thinking even more now. There seems to be MANY "potential" causes for this headache thing, due to so many variables in brewing. I am going to keep drinking mine to the end, cause if I only drink one, I have no problem. The problem arises after two or more. So I will just "nurse" this batch till the end as I don't want to waste what seems like a perfectly good beer. Aside from the damned headaches. Lol. Are they really splitting headaches after more beers? Like starting on the right side of the head and moving to the temples and over the right eye? That's what mine are like and it requires a couple of Advil to get any sort of half decent relief and then a good sleep.

The replies saying that Oxyclean is NOT a sanitizer are totally correct. Even though it has some sanitizing potential (cause it's a salt derivative similar to chlorine bleach) it does not kill everything. Use Starsan or a similar acid based brew sanitizer, cause nothing kills pathogens better than acids. Besides nasty chemicals and that's not something we want to do in brewing. The nice thing about Starsan and it's acids, is it is helpful to yeast! That's why it requires no rinsing (although it can get so foamy, you might want to give it a bit of a rinse, but no need to go rinse crazy). The leftover acids in Starsan are good for yeast! So you are getting double benefit from something like Starsan. I swear by the stuff and always use it.

Back