Beer geysers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I covered this on my blog but here is a brief summary. Had to run home yesterday when SWMBO called and said the airlock was whistling and krausen was in the airlock. Ran home just in time to see krausen running down the side of the carboy. Put blow off tube on. Problem solved. This was the Belgian Strong.

Fast forward to 5:30. I get home and she says the Double Chocolate Stout blew the airlock. Sure enough, beer on ceiling, walls and floor. Not a stream but drops, everywhere. I clean it up as best I can and put a blow of tube on it.

Last night around midnight I’m getting ready to go to sleep and I hear a loud thud sound downstairs. Yep, the Stout blew the cap and tube. Beer on ceiling again, but at least this was the extra room. My temps are right around 67 so it’s not too warm. I’ve never had fermentation this active. Any input would be great. Check out the blog for pictures. These beers are going to be great I can tell. :mug:

1stTimer said:
I covered this on my blog but here is a brief summary. Had to run home yesterday when SWMBO called and said the airlock was whistling and krausen was in the airlock. Ran home just in time to see krausen running down the side of the carboy. Put blow off tube on. Problem solved. This was the Belgian Strong.

Fast forward to 5:30. I get home and she says the Double Chocolate Stout blew the airlock. Sure enough, beer on ceiling, walls and floor. Not a stream but drops, everywhere. I clean it up as best I can and put a blow of tube on it.

Last night around midnight I’m getting ready to go to sleep and I hear a loud thud sound downstairs. Yep, the Stout blew the cap and tube. Beer on ceiling again, but at least this was the extra room. My temps are right around 67 so it’s not too warm. I’ve never had fermentation this active. Any input would be great. Check out the blog for pictures. These beers are going to be great I can tell. :mug:

Big beers doing big things. Looks like you hit a lucky streak. I had my first beer pour beer out of my airlock a week ago. That is a great picture opportunity.

I think they are going to be great. And they are big beers. The belgian should come out around 8.3% and the Stout around 6%. Aside from the pictures I have some great video of the activity in the carboy and the bubbles pouring out of the airlock right after I added a new clean one. Not sure how to post that on my blog though. I will figure it out.

1stTimer said:
I think they are going to be great. And they are big beers. The belgian should come out around 8.3% and the Stout around 6%. Aside from the pictures I have some great video of the activity in the carboy and the bubbles pouring out of the airlock right after I added a new clean one. Not sure how to post that on my blog though. I will figure it out.

Did you do a nice healthy starter? Also yeast types.

Oh yeah, the starters were very healthy. Pitched them into the wort about 26 hours after I made them. They were bubbling away when I pitched them. For the Belgian Strong I used Bastogne Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP510). For the Stout it was s04.

S-04 is pretty notorious for vigorous fermentation. I've had it spew through the airlock within 24 hours, only to have the airlock stop bubbling after 72 hours.

Drew, Im running home at lunch to check on it. But as of this morning (48 hrs) it was still going strong. The water jub is bubbling as strong as ever.

Scott, I just picked up some fermcap for the first time before these brews. Forgot to use it though. :) Live and learn.

1st timer,
The problem is you have entirely too much going at the same time. I would be glad to relieve you of some of that responsibility if you would like. Otherwise enlist SWMBO into "brew helper" status and teach her how to install a blow off tube. That should eliminate the emergency runs to the house during the day and she can get up with your babies at night. I know, My wife would kill me for even joking like that but she is a good egg and a keeper so I just think it and never say it out loud for fear of gunshot wounds. Sounds like you got it under control and the outcomes should be pretty good too. Besta luck!!!!
Bob

I would have had her do it, she knows how, but she is currently battlnig the flu. Dont want her sicking up my brew. I wish she was the only one getting up with the baby at night. but that little thing sure can make a lot of noise. So when she wakes up I usually just do something around the house because there will be no sleep. I just ran home to check on it and everything is fine. The activity is slowing so i think we are out of the danger zone (key Kenny Loggins).

Latest posts

Back