beer gets sweeter and sweeter in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello friends.
I brewed a Hefeweizen all grain. OG was 1.076 and FG was 1.012. I bottled with 1.25 cups of corn sugar. After 1 week I tried and it was nice and crisp with not that many bubbles of course. Now 2.5 weeks after bottling the beer has more bubbles but got really sweet. Almost undrinkable sweet. I had exactly the same happen to a Weizen before. I don't understand.
I used this recipe i found here at the forum from Arkador :
Grains
0.75 pounds Belgian Plisen Malt 8.5% of grist
0.75 pounds American Wheat Malt 8.5% of grist

Extracts
3.33 pounds LME - Wheat 37.7% of grist
4.00 pounds DME - Light 45.3% of grist

Hops
1oz Cascade 7.1% Pellets

Yeast
wyeast 3068 weihenstephan.

any ideas why it turns so sweet although after 1 week in the bottle it tasted just right?

Hefeweizens lose their bittnerness as they get older- this is why people often say drink them when they are young. A fresh hef will have have a lot sharper flavors than an older one. This may be what you're tasting.

My rule of thumb for hefs: 4 oz corn sugar per 5 gallons bottled. Let the bottles sit for about 10 days. Try one. If it's carbonated to your taste- have at it, and put in the fridge to stop further carbonation. If it is not carbonated to your taste let it sit for a few more days and try again. I've heard of some people finishing a hef from brew to cracking a bottle in 3 weeks. For me I like my a hef a little clearer so it takes a bit longer.

I don't know if any of this information helps... haha.

2.5 weeks after bottling is not nearly enough time for the hops to drop out. I have no explanation as to why the beer may be getting sweeter. If anything, the priming sugar should start to go away, and the carbonation ought to make the beer seem less sweet.

Back