Beer from bottle is foaming uncontrolably

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5066

Reaction score
I'd a search and couldn't find anything...

First time bottling my beer, honey porter. Sat in fermenter a good three weeks before bottling, if not 4. It has been 2 weeks or so and put a couple bottles in the fridge. Opened one a couple days ago and again today. When I open it foam starts coming out of the bottle. If I try to slowly and carefully pour a glass I have a glass of pure foam.

What's going on? I used the per measured amount from my home brew store, part of a kit.

This happened to me, but from an all grain batch. My problem was two-fold. First even though I let it ferment for 4 weeks my final gravity was a little high (1.030) but I couldn't get it to go lower so I bottled. Second, it was summer and when my bottles were conditioning it was about 80 degrees in my closet. I think fermentation started again and I even got a few bottle bombs. Put them in the fridge and tried to slowly release CO2 and re-crimp the caps many times but to no avail. Had to eventually dump the batch. All part of the learning process for me. Yours could be a different problem though. We would need more info like final gravity, amount of priming sugar, conditioning temp, etc. Here's more:

Last edited by a moderator:
Obligatory first questions:

Did you take multiple FG readings with a hydrometer over several days confirming that fermenation had finished?
What was that FG? What was the expected FG?
What yeast were you using?
What was the fermentation temperature?
How much priming sugar did you use?
What was the volume of beer you bottled? Not the batch size, but the actual volume that made it into the bottling bucket?

jc5066 said:
I'd a search and couldn't find anything... First time bottling my beer, honey porter. Sat in fermenter a good three weeks before bottling, if not 4. It has been 2 weeks or so and put a couple bottles in the fridge. Opened one a couple days ago and again today. When I open it foam starts coming out of the bottle. If I try to slowly and carefully pour a glass I have a glass of pure foam. What's going on? I used the per measured amount from my home brew store, part of a kit.

Infections can cause gushers. Not saying that you have one but if you used the right amount if sugar then this is a possibility.

Also, if fermentation wasn't done then you could get a lot of foam. Did you check your FG before bottling?

I would worry about bottle bombs at this point.

How long did you refridgerate the bottle for before you opened it? Seems simple I know, but I have noticed that if I chill a beer for a short time (less then 24 hours) it will foam after opening. It doesn't foam instantly though

How much priming sugar did you add? There are several variables that can cause this. I, recently, bottled 2 gallons of a double blonde. I measured out 2 oz of priming sugar then tossed the 3 oz in accidentally. As soon as I open a bottle, foam. Everywhere. I can't stop it. The one thing I've done is pour it into a LARGE glass that can hold all the foam and beer. I give it 10 mins then drink. Not the way I want to do it, but at least I still get to drink my beer.

Back