Beer for Santa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone had a similar situation growing up.

I don't know why, but for some reason my mother always taught us to leave beer and pretzels for Santa on Christmas Eve instead of milk and cookies. I have never asked her why.

It wasn't until I was grown up that I realized that was unusual. I always thought, "well he's workin hard, he must need a good beer and some pretzels". My family didn't even drink beer that much. I remember that same can of Shaffer sitting in the back of the fridge all year and we'd put it out on the coffee table with a paper plate full of pretzels you get in a bag. And every Christmas morning it was all gone except for a few pretzel crumbs.

That's cool. No it was milk and cookies in my household.....

SO if we were to leave a beer for ole st. nick, what would it be? Something quaffable and refreshing, like a lager, or cream ale, or something warming like a stout or a barleywine...

Of course we'd want him to be able to finish his duties, so maybe not a barleywine.

And should I leave a glass on the keezer this year so he can help himself?

:mug:

That's awesome! I'm just now beginning to get grandchildren, seems a fitting tradition that at grandpas house Santa drinks beer!

I remember leaving beer out some years... tried to pull that one off with the wife, she said definately not because we wouldn't want to teach the kids that it is ok to drink and drive (fly/operate heavey machinary) and imagine how smashed old St Nick would be if everyone left him a beer!
Revvy, I would be leaving him a Barleywine... imagine the joy when the kids wake up christmas morning to find Santa passed out on your couch!

Now this was in the early 1970's, so I wonder if those Shaffers were pull tab or did Santa need a churchkey?

If Santa can visit every house in the world in one night, he can also drink as many beers as he wants without getting drunk. He's like 1970's-era Superman. Give him pretty much any power.

Including walking to your kegerator and sucking down your kegs clean in the blink of an eye?

Except he wouldn't do that, see?

No, he would so do that... but then he would fill them with the most perfect IPA/Belgian ale/Lambic/[insert style you love] that you have ever had. It is Chrsitmas after all! :D

I'm just about broke,no tree-cat wizzed on it & tore it up. Gotta shop cheapy stores for gifts. So I hope he sees fit to leave me somethin good to drink. Damn lawyers...:mad:

dougdecinces said:
If Santa can visit every house in the world in one night, he can also drink as many beers as he wants without getting drunk. He's like 1970's-era Superman. Give him pretty much any power.

He is just able to efficiently metabolize the alcohol so that he wouldn't get drunk. Superhuman liver!

Back