Beer fermenting gotta leave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.... I have had to do this before but in the late fall when the house would stay about 65-70.

Presently I have an American Wheat and a Caffrey's Irish ale clone 3 days in and happily fermenting away with Brewjackets set to 65* in each fermenter. Have to leave for about a month in 3 days. Knew I had to but now sooner than expected.

Here it is late summer in north central AZ and temps still in the upper 80's - low 90's often. That means the house, with the AC shut off will eventually be upper 70's to mid 80's..... what to do? Don't want to run the AC.

What are the collective thoughts?

1) do I leave the Brewjackets running and have the lady that cares for our plants unplug them in about 2 weeks?
2) just go ahead and unplug them when I leave?

I usually always ramp up temps to about 72* near the end of fermentation.

So.... 3) ramp up to 72* Wednesday (6 days bubbling away) morning just before I leave... and have her unplug in a couple of weeks?

Too many questions... don't want to spoil my beer!

Cheers!

Looks like activity has slowed down.... no bubbles in the air locks, or at least very, very few. I will grab SG samples Tuesday and if they are near FG will ramp up a few degrees to let it finish out. Then have our friend unplug the Brewjackets in a couple of weeks.... temps may cool off by then too, we are headed into fall. It's just AZ is always late getting the memo even here in the mountains at 5,000 feet....

Cheers!

Back