Beer Evaluation Form... your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrewdude

Reaction score
I've been brewing for the last few years and starting to get a collection of recipies that I really like. I also give away half (or more) of the beer I brew to friends in trade for honest critique of those beers. My goal, like most on here, is to brew better beers. Enter the problem... most of my friends are experienced and diverse beer-drinkers but not beer brewers. I usually get good feedback on whether they like a beer or not and usually a comment if they think it tastes similar to a certain commercial brew. I occasionally get a few specific taste comments which are considerably more useful than "this is good!" but these types of comments are not the norm.

In an effort to remedy this, I'm considering making an informal beer evaluation form to have them complete with each beer. Something with brief pouring/serving instructions (although most of my friends have this down to an art, they sometimes share the beer with others who may not), and a checklist of percieved tastes (ie: piney, citrus, floral, earthy, etc), an abbreviated list for mouthfeel (watery, thick, silky, etc) and even including check boxes for potential flaws (green apple, cooked veggies, etc).

First, what do you think of the idea, useful or not? Second, should I make the form specific to each beer and give a description of the flavors/attributes that should be present (either according to style or the intentions of the recipe) to give them some guidance in what they are looking for or do you think this would this potentially skew their perception and feedback? Finally, in terminology that would be easy for a non-brewer or judge to understand and identify, what specific check boxes would you include?

If there's enough interest in this, at the conclusion, I'll upload the completed file for anyone who wants the form.

All input is welcome!

It could be, although scoring my friends beer would put a weird tone on an otherwise informal get together of dudes drinking beer. I might start with the BJCP score sheet for some guides. You obviously might not want to evaluate how close it is to style, but it gives you important things to consider when tasting a beer.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BeerScoreSheet-Form.pdf

It could be, although scoring my friends beer would put a weird tone on an otherwise informal get together of dudes drinking beer. I might start with the BJCP score sheet for some guides.

I'm with you on not wanting to kill the informality of a get-together, in my case it isn't uncommon to take a 6'er to one or more of my beer friends at work for them to try out later, at their liesure. That is where I would use the form, but I agree it would be a bit awkward just sitting around filling it out in group format.

I like your idea of using the BJCP score sheet, especially as it specifies the potential flaws. I'll probably change the wording a bit to make it more plain-language for the non-brewers but definitely a good start!

Any good suggestions around the KC area for a semi-informal brew club?

Didn't even realize you were from Missouri :)

KC Bier Meisters would be the best group to get feedback on your beers from...lots of experience BJCP judges...old school brewers being doing it for 20 years....and lots of new guys too. They typically will do a scoresheet on any beer that wants feedback...They meet the third friday of every month typically near Worlds of Fun

ZZ Hops is not far from you Lee's Summit area I believe...Can't speak for them but they have been around for a while

Homebrew Zoo in the Springfield/Ozark area are pretty solid guys...

I would also recommend Apexbrewwares.com he is opening up a shop on Noland Rd. and I-70 and plans to have monthly gatherings at this shop...I really trust and value his opinion on my beers

AHA has a group in Columbia, MO listed but not sure if they are active or not

I find the clubs will give you the best feedback on your beer and will understand how to try to improve it....Its fun getting opinion from your friends but they are your friends and not the best feedback other than your awesome and can you make some more :)

Helpful info! I actually work in Lee's Summit so I'm in the area quite a bit. I may look into KC Bier Meisters and ZZ Hops.

I just talked to Jeremy at Apex yesterday while picking up some grain. He said he and several others were in the process becoming BJCP judges and, if I remember correctly, said at least one of them should be present for tastings at each of the gatherings. That should fit the bill perfectly!

I still may do the sheet I was initially talking about just to get additional feedback. I really don't expect my non-brewing friends to be able to tell me how to correct a possible flaw in a beer but the majority do drink quite a variety of beers and each probably qualify as beer snobs in their own right. They should be able to at least give feedback if they taste certain flavors whether they are intentionally in the beer or not (I can determine those from the BJCP style guide). I can judge color, clarity and head retention without much additional feedback. Myself, I seem to have zero perception for mouthfeel and it's always helpful to know what others taste in a beer just because we all taste things a little different.

With all of that said, I think I'll still put priority on finding a club, especially if there's one that does on-site or group brews every once in a while. Everything I know about the brew process has been stolen from youtube, books and comments on HBT Forums (and the blanks I filled in myself, I suppose). It would be interesting to see how other's processes differ from mine. I'm also part-way into a Brutus 10-ish build and when I get to the final design phase of that it would be nice to have seen a few other rigs run first!

Do you have enough experience with one, the other or both to recommend either ZZ Hops or KC Bier Meisters one over the other? Distance to either is really a non-issue.

Latest posts

Back