Beer Drinking Instructions Desperately Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeeeeerman

Reaction score
Help. PLEASE help a brother out. I figure you'se guys know how to drink beer.

My question is this:

Do any of you drink your beer w/ a piece of fruit? Lemon, orange, grapefruit, mango, kiwi or whatever.

Me, I'm a beer purist. Gimme beer and give it now. nekkid and pure.

just wondering

I've had a blueberry ale with blueberries in it that was very good. But I'm not a fruit beer fan, so I don't normally put any fruit in it. When I get a Dos Equis dark at our local Mexican joint, I immediately remove the lime.
Lime in a Corona is the only acceptable beer with fruit I can think of.
Because it turns a terrible beer into a slightly less terrible beer.

Oh, I agree about Corona, but that's about the only use a fruit has any where near my beer. And I almost never drink Corona unless I'm out at family's place and that's all they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't insist on fruit, but it doesn't bother me to have it.

I was in a rather nice bar once and couple sat down next to me and the guy was trying to decide what beer he wanted based on what type of fruit the bar had available to put in it. I wanted to make him surrender his "man card" right then and there.

I'm not afraid to say it, I do enjoy a Widmer Hefeweizen with a lemon slice on a hot summer day. It's refreshing!

I'm not afraid to say it, I do enjoy a Widmer Hefeweizen with a lemon slice on a hot summer day. It's refreshing!

My first craft beer was a Boulevard Wheat with a lemon at the Crescent Moon in Omaha.

Still love a small lemon in my wheats, but I don't insist.

The last American wheat I made was decent by itself, but with a slice of lemon in it, it really set it off and made it great. If you like how the beer tastes with fruit, why not? I don't see why you can't mix it up. I've had a stout float with vanilla ice cream too. Damn good.

Snopes has a lot of theories but no proof.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/lime.asp

I remember in the 80's Tecate was promoting the use of lime and salt in their advertisements. Tecate was served in cans and the lime was supposed to mask the metallic taste. Nice try.

Bartenders discovered that even though there was no hope for Tecate, it did help Corona. Now it seems Americans expect Mexican beers to be served with a lime slice.

I don’t get it. If it’s crappy beer, don’t drink it. If it’s good beer the lime will just screw it up.

Not a fan of fruit beers and not a fan of fruit accouterments.

This is how I handle it...

726194581.gif

A few years ago I was in local a bar and I ordered a Blue Moon. The bartender put an orange slice on the rim and handed it to me. A biker-type sitting next to me took one look and remarked with unmistakable sarcasm 'what do you got there - soup?'. I had no response. I slunk away in disgrace. :D

This is one of the greatest things I've ever read. Thank you for starting my day off with a big laugh. I am going to creep the hell out of everyone now with my laughs to myself picturing a big biker posing that question.

I don't prefer my beers with fruit. I constantly forget that bartenders will generally add fruit to Blue Moon, Oberon, Corona, etc. I don't drink corona, but I've gotten the others with their various fruit wedge or slice and I get mad at myself for not telling the bartender to hold the fruit. It doesn't make the beer undrinkable, but I prefer the taste of the beer by itself. Oberon is fruity already.

Me and a buddy were talking about this the other day. It seems to me that a good beer is like a good steak. There should never be any reason to add anything else to it other than what was used to produce the product in the first place (Yeah, I'm talking to you A-1).

It seems to me, that this move toward fruit in commercial beers is just a feeble attempt, in the face of the surge in craft beers and brewing, to replace the fruity esters and other essences that a properly crafted ale would naturally contain. These are the things that are lost due to the filtering and other mass production processes used by the big boys.

I really can't stand it. I don't ever order beers that get served with slices of fruit, mostly for the fact they are served with said fruit. In my younger days I spent several happy hours drinking wheat beer with lemon slices. I always got this terrible heart burn feeling afterwards. Took a while to realize it was all the acidity from the lemon juice that was not sitting well. I was a binge drinking college kid at the time, so I'm sure that played a role as well.

soup! LOL

Given that half of all food poisoning cases are related to fruits and vegetables, I pass on the fruit.

If it is a beer that is supposed to taste like fruit, I feel that adding a piece of fruit at serving time is cheating. If it's good enough, I wouldn't need the extra baggage. If it's a beer that is traditionally served with fruit (like many US wheat beers) I will ask for it not to be included. If my beer comes with a hitchhiker after I ask for it not to be included, be prepared for it to be returned via air mail.

I dislike most wheat beers. If I am expected to drink a pint of one I would prefer it with a lemon.

Given that half of all food poisoning cases are related to fruits and vegetables, I pass on the fruit.

Well the other half are related to meat, so that must mean you eat ... nothing at all?

In other news, the vast majority of deaths occur in hospitals. AVOID HOSPITALS AT ALL COSTS!

Statistics are fun!

Well the other half are related to meat, so that must mean you eat ... nothing at all?

Meat is actually responsible for about 20% of food poisoning cases.

In other news, the vast majority of deaths occur in hospitals. AVOID HOSPITALS AT ALL COSTS!

Noted. I was going to go next week, but now I think I'll cancel it.

Statistics are fun!

79% of them are made up anyway.

I love corona extra with lime on a hot summer afternoon. Once mistakenly bought corona light. I will never make that mistake again!

It's odd, I'm mostly apa, ipa, and bitters, but for some on un-namable reason I like corona. It is always consistent, as is BMC. So they at least deserve props for that.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh, and for my Halloween party I skin carve a jack o lantern, tap it, and fill it with pumpkin spice beer. does that count?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

I've had a blueberry ale with blueberries in it that was very good. But I'm not a fruit beer fan, so I don't normally put any fruit in it. When I get a Dos Equis dark at our local Mexican joint, I immediately remove the lime.Because it turns a terrible beer into a slightly less terrible beer.

While visiting Bar Harbor, ME we ate at Paddys Pub which serves Bar Harbor Brewing True Blue blueberry ale on draft. They put real blueberries in it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it that way. It is one of the best blueberry ales I've come across, but the fruit added a little something extra to it.

I enjoy all kinds of fruit beers. I also enjoy stouts, porters, ambers and IPA's. People who hate on fruit beers and make fun of people who enjoy fruit beers are what I call beer snobs. Fruit beers get a bad wrap sometimes but they are another way of creating more great beer!! That's what it's all about!!

Arrr ther laddylass. 'Ave yer figgured 'ow to quaff a pint 'er are ye still abit daft in allways?

Help. PLEASE help a brother out. I figure you'se guys know how to drink beer.

My question is this:

Do any of you drink your beer w/ a piece of fruit? Lemon, orange, grapefruit, mango, kiwi or whatever.

Me, I'm a beer purist. Gimme beer and give it now. nekkid and pure.

just wondering

This is a very difficult question to answer.

I think that to drink a beer, a glass of iced tea, soda, whatever.... is a difficult proposition.

Once you've committed to purchase the beverage, you have the difficult task ahead of you of actually drinking it.

The beverage is right there... on the counter, bar, table... just taunting you.

It's right there.... making fun of you... telling you you're not a man if you can't drink me....

It's calling you weak, and a sissy.... and you feel pathetic that you can't master the art of drinking a beverage.

And then... instinctively... You pick the glass up and pull it ever closer to your mouth, as if you've always known how to drink liquid.

The glass comes closer and closer to your mouth and still.... the beverage taunts you... "You don't know how to drink a beer - you moron"

And then.... THEN... the glass reaches your mouth and you begin to think that you can do it.

But.... the liquid enters your mouth and you gag as it reaches the back of your throat. You have to spit it out because the concept of drinking liquid of any kind is so new to you, you just can't understand how anybody could do something so complicated as drinking liquid.

You decide to give it another shot...

and so on... and so on...

Just stick the slice of lemon or lime or whatever the heck you want to put in the beer... and just drink the damm thing.

I enjoy all kinds of fruit beers. I also enjoy stouts, porters, ambers and IPA's. People who hate on fruit beers and make fun of people who enjoy fruit beers are what I call beer snobs. Fruit beers get a bad wrap sometimes but they are another way of creating more great beer!! That's what it's all about!!

I agree 100%

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Haha was reading this on the way to dinner... Only beer I hadn't tried was a cherry wheat By Sammy...

Came with a cherry in the bottom. Extra cherry.... Last time I get this beer.

Cheers.

1393460446705.jpg

A fruit beer brewed that way - maybe (haven't had one I liked so far). Fruit wedge?? The lemon in a wheat beer mid summer sounds like it might be ok. Corona or Blue moon - the first thing I do is remove the crap! Of course I do not order those any more!!

I remove the orange wedge from a Blue Moon if I order one, which means they didn't have something much better.

I walked outside and pulled a lemon off the tree in my front yard, I squeezed a bit into BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, and I liked it!

I can deal with a little lemon or lime here and there, but I am not a fan of any other fruits or spices.

That there is a genuine watermelon wheat. I brew my wheats with a good dose of acid malt which makes them very refreshing but also quite tart. The watermelon adds a nice floral aroma and a little sweetness.

1393498079467.jpg

Latest posts

Back