Beer darkened during fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lapja

Reaction score
the beers in the picture are from the same wort. Now let me explain the series of accidents that led to this situation:

My boiler died at 40 minutes after boil. I figured that I could still save the match and went on with cooling as usual. I split it in two vessels because I wanted to experiment a small batch with lactobacillus acidophilus tablets.

First issue was that I had not hopped at all the wort so I boiled rapidly for like 10 minutes an ounce of Citra and threw it in the big batch. The small batch stayed unhopped because I had read that lactobacillus is very sensitive to hops.

I pitched like 10 tablets of lactobacillus acidophilus in the small batch left it at 45 C and waited for 24h nothing happened Ph was around 5. Hmm... I waited another 24h still nothing.

So I just pitched a Belgian sour mix and lowered the temperature at 34C. There the fermentation started furiously. I had to leave for 4 days and when I returned the fermentation had finished but the beer has gone completely dark. Is the batch spoiled ?

IMG_0287.jpg

I'm clueless why it turned dark like that. But it's one nicely shaped bottle!

4 days is a bit short to evaluate. Maybe give it a few more days, then taste it?

I'd say Ph is now near 3.2 but gravity is yet 1.032 (OG was 1055). I will give it a week and see where it goes. I am a bit worried because it is unhopped. Should I just pitch some boiled hops?

IMG_0290.jpg

Back