Beer Competition Category Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLBrew

Reaction score
If I Have a wheat beer that is similar to Three Floyds Gumballhead, which category would best suit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The BJCP guidelines actually lists Three Floyds Gumbalhead as one of the classic examples of 6D. American Wheat or Rye Beer

Just saw that too...thanks.

One of my favs, but good luck competing in Am. Wheat/Rye with a clone; the high hops presence is likely to get dinged by judges who aren't familiar with the beer or the range for the style. Most judges will expect a very lightly flavored beer with a wheat presence (which does come through nicely with the red wheat % used in Gumballhead) and minimal hops. Despite being listed as a commercial example (not "classic" examples), it's such an outlier.

If you're in an area where you'd expect judges to be familiar with 3F, you might consider entering it as a specialty, which allows for clones of specific beers. Might also consider entering in APA and specifying "with wheat" as a special ingredient.

One of my favs, but good luck competing in Am. Wheat/Rye with a clone; the high hops presence is likely to get dinged by judges who aren't familiar with the beer or the range for the style. Most judges will expect a very lightly flavored beer with a wheat presence (which does come through nicely with the red wheat % used in Gumballhead) and minimal hops. Despite being listed as a commercial example (not "classic" examples), it's such an outlier.

If you're in an area where you'd expect judges to be familiar with 3F, you might consider entering it as a specialty, which allows for clones of specific beers. Might also consider entering in APA and specifying "with wheat" as a special ingredient.

Good information. I like the APA option. The wheat definitely shines in this beer. If I go that route, I may filter it so it doesn't look like a "wheat beer".

Back