Beer changed flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
So, awhile back I made an octoberfast ale and racked it in the keg. We have been drinking this one slower than usual as we all got tired of this style after having so many during this time of year.

So to the point...its been in the keg now for maybe 3 months and it maybe has 1/4 of the keg left and it turned sweet....the flavor is completely different than it was before. What the heck happened?

I see you're in TX...I'm up near Dallas. By any chance, was your Octoberfest Ale the "Session Fest" sold by Austin Homebrew?

I see you're in TX...I'm up near Dallas. By any chance, was your Octoberfest Ale the "Session Fest" sold by Austin Homebrew?

Yup I am in Texas, also the Dallas area. I have ordered a few kits from Austin Homebrew and with out being negative towards their business...the kits simply were not good. The recipes were bad....so I don't order from them anymore (It's been almost a year now since then..maybe things have changed?)

I go to a shop in Richardson and if I can't make the drive i'll order online from Stubbys Texas Brewing which is in Haltom City. Both of these stores are great and Stubbys will deliver your order really fast since its local and you can call them if you have questions about what your getting and they can help you order the right ingredients/item.

Yup I am in Texas, also the Dallas area. I have ordered a few kits from Austin Homebrew and with out being negative towards their business...the kits simply were not good. The recipes were bad....so I don't order from them anymore (It's been almost a year now since then..maybe things have changed?)

I go to a shop in Richardson and if I can't make the drive i'll order online from Stubbys Texas Brewing which is in Haltom City. Both of these stores are great and Stubbys will deliver your order really fast since its local and you can call them if you have questions about what your getting and they can help you order the right ingredients/item.

I'm not familiar with Stubby's. but agree completely regarding Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson. Friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful.

Oxidation is the likely culprit. The flavor fades, the color may darken, and the beer may taste a bit sweeter (sometimes even like brandy).

My only question then is how did it get oxidized? I have it under pressure with co2?

My only question then is how did it get oxidized? I have it under pressure with co2?

It picks up oxygen from the headspace of the fermenter, bring racked to the keg, etc, etc. Brewers work hard to avoid oxygen, but some contact is inevitable. Hot side aeration, while claimed to be a myth by many homebrewers can be a long-term cause, and any cold side contact will show up with time.

Oxidative reactions are always occurring in beer, and with time it will become more apparent. Fresh, the effects might not be apparent but with some aging, the staling reactions will start showing their face. That's one reason most commercial beers (and homebrew) are best fresh. Keeping a beer cold slows these reactions greatly, but does not stop them.

Big commercial breweries even rinse their packaging beer lines with de-oxygenated water to try to prevent oxidation as much as possible- but still it will occur and get worse with time. It may not be as severely oxidized as it could be, but it will be noticeable compared with a fresh beer.

Latest posts

Back