Beer brewer who wants to make a sweet wine. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been doing the beer brewing thing for awhile now and my girlfriend saw some of the wine stuff in my midwest magazine so I figured why not since I probably have most of the stuff needed already. Looks like I need a bigger primary pale and one of those degassing whip things? My secondary now is a 6.5 gal glass carboy, but I don't want that tied up for a long time. Might need to invest in another.

I guess what i'm asking for is where to start. I do extract brewing mostly now, so I believe it would be easy to do a wine kit? Just want a sweet light wine that's widely drinkable.

Side note, her sister and husband bought a super old farm house with tons of fruit trees and grape vines. The grapes are dark is all I know, maybe I could do a batch of that also later on.

Just looking for advice on where to start here. Thanks!

If you want a sweet wine kit, and easy place to start is an Island Mist wine kit. They make sweet "mist" type wines, sort of like wine coolers, and they come out pretty good if you want a sweet fruity wine. My friend makes lots of those kits- mango something, kiwi something, and some others, and she loves them.

You should have everything you need except a 6 gallon carboy (that's a "must have" for wine kits) and a corker. An ale pail or 6.5 gallon carboy works fine for primary. You don't need a wine degasser, although they are handy to have to save a bit of labor.

I get extract kits thru northern brewer. Is that the place to go for the wine making kits also?

I get extract kits thru northern brewer. Is that the place to go for the wine making kits also?

Most on line stores have a wine section..
Have a look at Morewinemaking.com
But as I said Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin, Homebrewing.org etc all have wine sections...heck you can even buy wine kits on Amazon (I do) :mug:

Amazon has several flavors that are similar to the Island Mist products referenced above, the brand is Cornucopia. The kits come with everything including corks, you just need the equipment.

Back