Beer Bacon Music Competition Winners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novahokie09

Reaction score
I'm just curious how many other HBT members went to the festival today or yesterday?

It was quite a debacle waiting for bacon and beer, at least the music was good.

Any HBT members win any medals? Who took down the 1st place $6k prize?

BBM Competition Site

Very curious how this shook out for both entrants and fest-goers.

I judged a 'remote site' and we were pretty sceptical from the get go. I hope they had good results, I know this was a novice organizer with a lot to handle.

I heard Saturday was a mess, but I went on Sunday. Sunday was much better.

The beer was really good. Green Flash Road Warrior was my favorite; it's an Imperial Rye India Pale Ale, whatever that is. It was not pale, but it was delicious with a nice spicy, piney nose and a matching flavor. Sierra Nevada, Devil's Backbone, 21st Amendment, Green Flash, and several other breweries had booths sampling their beer.

The bacon line was a mess. You waited in line for like 15-20 minutes for 4 pieces of bacon that was basically a strip cut in half, so not even a full piece. At least the weather was nice.

I also judged the competition where no beers had listed sub-categories. This definitely had a negative impact on the scoring. We basically began picking the best subcategory aiming to give the beer the highest score. It was a real pain in the ass.

Other than that, I was unable to determine who won the competition or the $6k 1st prize, so I'm anxious to see how that process went down.

Uh...if it's a home brew competition,why did a commercial brew win? And they likely didn't have some people serving the bacon,so a few would grab double fistfulls at the expense of the rest.

Frey's is a newer farm brewery. Not sure about what they submitted though.

As for the bacon it was being served up by people. They just couldn't meet the demand fast enough.

Rule #4: All beer entered MUST have been brewed at home and cannot be brewed under commercial operation or equipment. Once delivered, all entries become the
property of Beer Bacon Music."

Frey's: "We received our Maryland Beer Manufacturer’s Class 5 license on February 1st, 2013"

And it looks like they were pouring AT the festival. This is some bad mojo...

not just pouring, but apparently "best friends" with the event organizer

smells fishy. like a salmon porter fermented too hot

Uh...if it's a home brew competition,why did a commercial brew win? And they likely didn't have some people serving the bacon,so a few would grab double fistfulls at the expense of the rest.

I mentioned the **** show that was the one held by another organizer in my state. This sounds no different. However, your assumption that people weren't handing out bacon and it was a free for all is likely wrong. Those areas were heavily manned.

If a commercial brewery won then that is wrong. Regardless of size, they have a commercial license and therefore aren't home brewing by any stretch of the definition. Sad really as it likely takes away from a real home brewer who worked hard on his/her entry.

not just pouring, but apparently "best friends" with the event organizer

smells fishy. like a salmon porter fermented too hot

If this is true, BBM needs to refund all homebrewers that entered. Where did you hear about the best friends with the organizer? If it's collusion to withhold the prize money, that's even more disrespectful.

I would say I'd have to give the organizers the benefit of the doubt because $6k isn't worth colluding over especially for the goodwill that would come from an annual event.

If this is true, BBM needs to refund all homebrewers that entered. Where did you hear about the best friends with the organizer? If it's collusion to withhold the prize money, that's even more disrespectful.

I would say I'd have to give the organizers the benefit of the doubt because $6k isn't worth colluding over especially for the goodwill that would come from an annual event.

from a comment at that linked article.

of course, "I read it on the internet, it must be true"

don't forget a grain of salt

Latest posts

Back