Beer and wine kits taxable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My LHBS taxes beer and wine kits. I looked into Florida tax code and it sure looks like it should be exempt.

Anybody have any insight into this? I realize that it's state tax, and thus it might be different between states.

My LHBS taxes beer and wine kits. I looked into Florida tax code and it sure looks like it should be exempt.

Anybody have any insight into this? I realize that it's state tax, and thus it might be different between states.
Does Florida tax beer and wine?

In California I don't think I get taxed for the items that could be food(grain and hops), but the chemical and hardware stuff is taxed. I think raw food is exempt but prepared stuff is taxed.

If the wine kit has non food items maybe it needs to be taxed or is just easier to tax on the full amount instead of the part that is non food. Just a guess.

Montana doesn’t have a general sales tax but makes up for it with property and excise taxes. One of the excise taxes is the “Beer Connoisseur’s Tax”. Anyone wishing to have beer imported directly from the brewer for personal consumption must obtain a Beer Connoisseur’s license ($50 initially, $25/year thereafter) and pay a tax on the imported beer. Imports for personal use are limited to 12 cases/year, and the brewer must be registered with the state revenue department.

So, technically, if I participate in the 12 BOC or FOTD, both I and the brewers I am exchanging with are probably violating the law. Or not. :rolleyes:

In Ohio all brewing ingredients, including yeast and hops, are classified as essential foodstuffs, and therefore untaxed. Oddly, bottled water is taxed, like soft drinks, not considered essential. Of course beer itself is taxed.

In Ohio all brewing ingredients, including yeast and hops, are classified as essential foodstuffs, and therefore untaxed. Oddly, bottled water is taxed, like soft drinks, not considered essential. Of course beer itself is taxed.
Of course. Beer IS an essential foodstuff!

It's possible that the tax law says that ingredients shouldn't be taxed (or should be taxed at a lower rate) since technically all of the ingredients could be used as food. But your LHBS may not be set up to tax different items differently.

i was paying tax on my barley...13.78, but they changed the law and now it's 12.99....lol

edit: a tie! and i'm poor so the feds and state always try to give me money.....strangley makes me feel like a *****....

Where I live in NC, food item sales tax is 2%.Was at Walmart today.

Looks like homebrew items are 7.3% which includes state and county sales tax. Was at the LHBS today too.

All the Best,
D. White

It's possible that the tax law says that ingredients shouldn't be taxed (or should be taxed at a lower rate) since technically all of the ingredients could be used as food. But your LHBS may not be set up to tax different items differently.

There's a rule for boxed stuff that contains a mix of both taxable and exempt (food): if less than 25% of the contents are taxable, the whole box is then exempt.

Really, I think my LHBS is wrong on this, but he is being extra cautious in order to avoid issues during an audit. Sadly, that caution cost me $20 this weekend when I bought a wine kit from him.

upload_2020-1-7_19-5-17.png

Florida has no state income tax. I wonder which is more beneficial?

Oregon's Canada (Washington) is the same way and I've wondered that myself. I'm guessing it depends on the individual. How much they make and how much (taxable goods) they purchase.

Closure.

After I questioned the tax on kits (beer and wine), my LHBS owner got with the dept of revenue and confirmed they do not need to be taxed. I got a gift cert for bringing it to his attention :)

Sadly, he's been collecting (and passing to the state) taxes on these for many years. Kit products fall into the gaps where there wasn't concrete guidance, so I understand his caution. All's well that ends well.

Back