Beer and Doughnuts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamT

Reaction score
So SWMBO suggested to me this morning, as I dropped by the bakery she works at to get my morning doughnut, that we open a doughnut shop where we would sell typical morning doughnuts, lunch doughnuts (i.e bacon doughnuts), and beer. I am wondering how many people would want to get a bacon doughnut and some local brew for their lunch time ski break?

Offer more than just donuts... Bagels would be good to have there... Which, of course, opens up to the idea of a deli too... :D

I long for the day when I can get a really, really good/great ruben with a tall glass of great beer...

Oatmeal Stout and an Old Fashioned doughnut!
Breakfast of champions!:mug:

I think we're all kind of biased. Maybe you should ask some "average" folks. BTW I love drinking Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout with breakfast.

Really really good/great ruben and TALL glass of great beer o' the day will be on the menu then.

Portland has a donut shop that makes a sesame donut, which goes very nicely with any well hopped IPA. Oddly enough the name of the place is Sesame Donuts.

However a well charred wood oven pizza is still a better fit for me.

the only thing that I'm unsure of is the lunch donut idea. talk to us more about that. I am having a hard time picturing myself wanting a glazed donut with bacon on it for lunch after skiing all morning.

However, the tall glass of beer of the day on the slope sounds great. Much better than the places I've been, $8 for a can of BMC or whatnot...

A bacon glazed doughnut is the perfect combo of sweet and salty matched with your favorite brew... Could make for a good light meal.

the only thing that I'm unsure of is the lunch donut idea. talk to us more about that. I am having a hard time picturing myself wanting a glazed donut with bacon on it for lunch after skiing all morning.

However, the tall glass of beer of the day on the slope sounds great. Much better than the places I've been, $8 for a can of BMC or whatnot...

How about a burger that uses a ~1-2 day old donut instead of a 'normal' bun? :rockin:

A bacon glazed doughnut is the perfect combo of sweet and salty matched with your favorite brew... Could make for a good light meal.

But I'd see a bacon bagel for lunch, not a bacon doughnut.

Of course, like I said, I haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years. I do NOT have a sweet tooth at all, and will walk away from sweet things.

Now, a bit of rye in a bagel topped with some bacon and cream cheese? Oh, yes.

Of course, like I said, I haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years. I do NOT have a sweet tooth at all, and will walk away from sweet things.

Now, a bit of rye in a bagel topped with some bacon and cream cheese? Oh, yes.

LMAO!!! See one of those "When Harry Met Sally" deli moves from that with you... :ban:

Beer bagel ruben done in the traditional (NY) style... Stacked tall, with kraut, swiss, Russian dressing on one side, stone ground mustard on the other, cheese melted inside with a good kosher dill on the side... mmmmm mmmmm good... Of course, you HAVE to cook the corned beef long enough so that it's tender, not tough like you get from the grocery store (I never buy corned beef there, I'll cook my own first, even if it's just for sandwiches)... Pair that up with a quality brew (haven't thought about what to pair it with yet, I'm sure we can get some good choices though) and you'll have something that people will line up for out the door, around the corner, to the next block... :rockin:

Bagels will be a must on the menu for lunch and for those with a wild side the "experimental" doughnuts will also be available.

MMMMM.... corned beef! There is no where in Aspen/Snowmass that sells good corned beef. That'll be on the menu. Rye bagels with mustard... Check!

MMMMM.... corned beef! There is no where in Aspen/Snowmass that sells good corned beef. That'll be on the menu. Rye bagels with mustard... Check!

Make a bagel that uses some of the spent grain from the beer you brew and/or some of the wort (post boil, not fermented) to add more flavor... Go with the beer theme as much as you can, but still offer more traditional items for those not brave enough.

One of the tricks, I find, to getting really good corned beef it to put smashed garlic cloves into the pot too. About 4-5 per brisket (normal market size, scale up for restaurant sized) is usually a good start. Depending on what else you normally use, there could be some other alterations... Experiment a bit to get a really great tasting corned beef to offer... If you want to really go nuts, make your own corned beef to then cook... Would probably be more economical once you start selling a lot of them... :D

OMG, now I have to make bacon bagels. But I am not sure how to go about it. Ideally I'd want the bacon evenly distributed through the bagel dough AND on top, instead of just as a sprinkling of bits on top.

OMG, now I have to make bacon bagels. But I am not sure how to go about it. Ideally I'd want the bacon evenly distributed through the bagel dough AND on top, instead of just as a sprinkling of bits on top.

Cook the bacon, then either fine chop it, or run it through a food processor to almost dust it... Put it in early and it should mix well...

Have a bit larger bits to put on top, like you would with seeds... :D

I would love to try one once you get some made... :mug:

One of the best breakfast sandwiches ever is a plain toasted bagel, cream cheese spread on both sides, with several slices of crispy bacon in the middle. Simple, perfect.

Use the bacon grease to make the bagels as well as chopping up bacon on "Liquify" in a blender and adding that to the dough. Evenly distributed and infused with raw taste!

Yeah I make that too. But just the idea of putting bacon IN the bagels has me excited.

I think you could easily do that. Crumble the bacon and put it in the dough, then make the bagels. When you boil them, take them out and put more bacon crumbles on top before the baking step.

Ooooooh, now I'm so hungry!

Reubens are a favorite of mine. I'm a vegetarian 99% of the time (not because of any real reason other than not being a huge fan of meat). However reubens are one of the few things I love. I had one yesterday with a fantastic barley wine :)

Also, may I suggest you make luther burgers.

Also, may I suggest you make luther burgers
That looks like a calorie overload of heavenly goodness. I will have to try one of these and include it on the extreame doughnut side of the menu.

Reubens are a favorite of mine. I'm a vegetarian 99% of the time (not because of any real reason other than not being a huge fan of meat). However reubens are one of the few things I love. I had one yesterday with a fantastic barley wine :)

mmmmm Rubens... Even vegetarians love them.. :rockin: With the kraut in there, it at least has SOME veggies in it... :D

Also, may I suggest you make luther burgers.

I might just have to either find someplace that makes those, or whip one up myself sometime soon... I remember the episode of the Boondocks that it was in... That was classic... :D

That looks like a calorie overload of heavenly goodness. I will have to try one of these and include it on the extreame doughnut side of the menu.

Try one on the bacon impregnated bagel too... :eek:

Could be onto something there... A double bacon burger... Bacon burger on a bacon bagel... Heart stopper special of the week... :D

i had a homer simpson beer and doughnut ice cream. it was really good. i know thats not reallly what your talking about, but still cool

Well the plan sounds good. There is only one problem, the location is a seasonal town. Booming business in the winter would obviously make it possible to stay open in the winter, but Snowmass is completely dead in the summer. Beer would be brewed year round but how to pay rent in the summer is going to be a problem.

Is the town completely abandoned during the summer time, or is it just locals? Offer up seasonal brews and food and you should do well. Be sure to advertise the place as well as the seasonal changes, at least initially... After a while people will find out, or remember what you offer...

I'm sure that some of the menu will remain static over the year.

There are a few tourists and locals in the summer. The lifts do run for bikers but the mojority of the shops and food joints are closed through the summer. Maybe that would give Me the upper hand, being the only place to eat in town and having good Beer/food.

:off: Too much coffee would be the reason for random UPPERCASE letters that don't belong and misspelled 'MOJOrity' words.

Latest posts

Back