Beer Alchemy vs iBrewmaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMetroka

Reaction score
This subject has been beaten I'm sure but...

Being an iPad user I was looking for the perfect app.
It has come down to Beer Alchemy and iBrewmaster.

I think they are both strong in recipe formulation, ingredients and mashing among other things.

What I really like about BA is it available for syncing between computer and mobile devices.
I also like how it generates a shopping list in the from of an email with vendors built in. Very cool feature.
I also like the "Suggest A Brew" feature that help formulate a recipe from ingredients on hand.

What I like about iBrewmaster is it seems to take a you little further into the brewing process with timers for hop additions.

I dont see myself investing in both the computer and mobile versions of BA any time soon.

I'm going to see what Christmas might bring but I am definitely leaning towards iBrewmaster. iPad only.
Northern brewer has a podcast that also helped in my decision

Mike

Wow, still no responses. I think us Mac guys are alone. I posted before regarding BA specifics and not one person responded. Anyway...

I have both BA and iBrewmaster. I like BA a lot better. It's great on the Mac and like you said, the sync feature is handy. If I could do it again I would have not purchased iBM. BA has other features that have come in handy. Plus I really like the "Brewday instructions". I put together my own recipes and frankly I think BA is easier to use.

... It's also great on the iPad. Granted it doesn't have timers, but still easier to use in my opinion.

I've been happy with Beer Alchemy thus far. Been using it since before I got my iPad and it was one of the first apps I purchased on my iPad. The suggest a beer feature is nice and I really like having an inventory of everything. It deducts the ingredients for me when I brew a new recipe. Timers would be nice, but I have so many things with timers in it that I don't really miss it.

I also got quick replies when I had issues with some things.

So I'm poking around the trial on the Mac...
Are the "Brewday Instructions" the instructions on the bottom left of a new batch?
M

I was going to respond, but I saw that the OP wasn't interested in getting the full version.

I have BA for both my laptop and my iPad. I rarely use the one on my iPad, but I've brought it to events and such for when people ask questions about my recipes. Since I use a laptop anyway, my full version is convenient enough for use during brew days.

I am very happy with BA, and other than a few small things (I want to edit styles and want more flexibility in choosing measurement units), I really can't complain.

MikeMetroka said:
So I'm poking around the trial on the Mac...
Are the "Brewday Instructions" the instructions on the bottom left of a new batch?
M

Yup.

I really like BA. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to configure it for no-sparge. If one of you fine gentlemen have any experience with that, let me know. I always end up with a mash and a sparge volume and can never get the sparge volume to "0". I have emailed Kent Place about 3 weeks ago requesting some information and have not heard back yet. I think BA has the best bang for the buck. A no-sparge option would be handy too.

I really like using BA, however, I have no experience with iBrewmaster. I just wish I could figure out how to change the AA% in a batch if it varies from the parent recipe.

I really like BA. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to configure it for no-sparge. If one of you fine gentlemen have any experience with that, let me know. I always end up with a mash and a sparge volume and can never get the sparge volume to "0". I have emailed Kent Place about 3 weeks ago requesting some information and have not heard back yet. I think BA has the best bang for the buck. A no-sparge option would be handy too.

I prefer no-sparge as well. So far, I have been doing hand calcs on brew days so any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated here as well.

How do you get to the Brew Days feature?

I'm actually leaning back towards BA, having a trial version is nice.
iB does not have a trial but I have downloaded and read the entire user guide.
Also, I think a desktop and mobile version synced would be beneficial as well.

When you create a batch of a recipe, this feature will be available. Here is a screenshot of the location on iPad. I will post a screenshot from the Mac later tonight.

I don't know why it's so fuzzy. I'll post my iPad screenshot from my Mac later.

image-758584457.jpg

Airborneguy said:
Just click on the AA of the hops and change it.

I'll have to check again, (since any updates) but I was only able to change the hop weight, not AA%, in a batch. I can edit the parent recipe just fine. I'll check again today to see if an update changed anything.

I think it was on a recent update that it became available.

I seem to be all up to date with BA versions.

I just created a new batch under a parent recipe and I still cannot double-click on the AA% to edit. I can only double-click to change the weight.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Do I have to edit the AA% in the inventory and re-select it from there?

Thanks for the help thus far. OP, sorry to hijack the thread.

Apparently I was not thorough in my research as there IS a Mac version for iBrewmaster. Surprised nobody corrected me.
Mac App Store - iBrewMaster
It doesn't mention syncing between devices but it does talk about exporting for devices such as iPad. Also, no demo that I can see.
I also downloaded a demo version of BeerSmith 2, the UI looks a bit too busy for my taste but seems to have ALOT of capabilities. I didn't hit the ground running like I did with BA.

Note to software developers:
Demo versions are colossal IMHO.
MM

Long live the demo versions!

Note to software developers:
Demo versions are colossal IMHO.
MM[/QUOTE]

I've been using iBrewmaster for a while now, and love it. It's extremely useful on brew days and having the iPad version was a must for me, as its smaller than a laptop and very easy to use. The timers do come in handy, but I really like the recipe building.

@weithman4
I don't think it is possible as iBrewmaster claims they have more features built into their files.
UPDATE
Christmas brought iBrewmaster!
I'm excited to get started, I'll update when I get into it.
MM

They both have positives & great interfaces, but at the end of the day they both are lacking.

BA allows you to import beerxml files from your computer but lacks the timers that ibrewmaster has. ibrewmaster's beerxml upload doesn't work, so it is pointless because I am not wasting my time re-entering all the info.

BrewingAlarm is the only app I have found that allows me to upload a beerxml file from BeerSmith & use the alarms/timer.

Latest posts

Back