Beer ABV way too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
I took a recipe here on the forum, changed it a bit to bring it to 5% and I wrote what I need to do in my notes on my computer, then this morning I looked at my recipe and added again on top of that grains because I forgot I modified it.. Basically Im on the way to get a 6.3% when it was originally 4%...

Question: can i make a second batch lets say 3% and mix them together? If so, how and for how long? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sure you could blend them... but then you may end up with 10 gallons of not so great beer. I'm assuming you already brewed it, why not taste it after its done fermenting and decide then if its good as is or if you need to do something drastic? You didn't mention what beer style it is, but most likely if you boosted the grains but not the hops, it won't be as bitter as the recipe calls for, but that may not be the end of the world, depending on the style.

Assuming your original recipe called for 5gal of finished wort @70%EFF, and adding water to thin the beer down -

5 gal wort @ 6.3ABV
+0.5 gal water = 5.7 ABV
+1.0 gal water = 5.3 ABV
+1.25gal water = 5.0 ABV
+3.0 gal water = 4.0 ABV

You can see, you've got a lot of water to add to get the ABV down to 4.0, I'd just split the difference and go for the 5.3ABV. Any chance you can pull a pound or two of the base grain out? That'll drop you points also.

Is there a reason you don't want it at 6%? If you water it down you will lose flavor. I would just try it at 6% and see how it tastes before messing with it.

I'm not seeing the problem here...

Well... It's a bit too high for me to enjoy it. I'm the kind of guy that likes to always have a beer on hand. Make it 6.3% will get me drunk too fast lol :cross:

Well... It's a bit too high for me to enjoy it. I'm the kind of guy that likes to always have a beer on hand. Make it 6.3% will get me drunk too fast lol :cross:

Good homebrew is meant to be savored and enjoyed, not guzzled like Natty Light.:drunk:

Leave this one alone. Next batch, make a 4% session beer for consumption in mass quantities.:tank:

Maybe you have friends that will enjoy a good beer?

Just keep conditioning your torlerance
I now make most beers in the 7-10% range just to satisfy my brain!
If you like lawn mower beer. Drink Carton brewing stuff!

I definitely wouldn't dilute the beer with water. My club thought of doing something similar to this on a larger scale (on purpose though, goal being to brew an intentionally stronger version, including increased hopping, fermenting in a bourbon barrel with enough headspace, and then transferring into another bourbon barrel and topping up before extended aging), and I had the chance to ask John Palmer about the plan at NHC last year. He pointed out something we hadn't considered. Besides watering down the flavor, even after being boiled water contains some oxygen, and with how much water you're looking to add (and how much we were looking to add), that much after fermentation could potentially oxidize the batch.

Now, brewing another 3% session beer and blending together would definitely work. Although I have to agree with everyone else, and recommend that you taste it first before messing with it. Give it 3 or 4 weeks in the fermenter to mature as much as possible.

Back