Been away 2 years. What have i missed? Anything important happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Happy holidays.

I haven't brewed in over 2 years.

All grain/kegs and all that good stuff.

Has anything happened in this world that I missed out on? New tech?

I just cleaned out my garage and all my equipment from storage. Took me 3 days all together.

Gonna start fresh in 2021. Whats the best place to order from. I believe i use moorbeer for hops/grains/yeast.

My system is kind of oldschool. Been looking at some cheaper small electric systems.

Your last sentence is the big news of the last couple of years. That, and kveik yeast and New England IPA.

I’ll also throw in floating dip tubes for kegs, and the increased normalcy of low oxygen techniques in fermentation and packaging. Pressurized fermentation, spunding, and closed transfers being the big ones.

Your last sentence is the big news of the last couple of years. That, and kveik yeast and New England IPA.

Hmmmm. Any recommendations to look at? Thanks for your response

EDIT: btw i lost my old account info. I have it saved somewhere on a hard drive. used to post a lot

I am big on the electric brew systems, but I am not fond of either kveik or NEIPA. :) Sorry... but threads abound if you just search here on HBT. Others are sure to chime in.

As for the electric systems: Anvil Foundry, Clawhammer, Unibräu, Grainfather, Braumeister, Mash & Boil, Brewzilla, plus systems from Spike and SS Brewtech. It's a tad overwhelming!

I am big on the electric brew systems, but I am not fond of either kveik or NEIPA. :) Sorry... but threads abound if you just search here on HBT. Others are sure to chime in.

As for the electric systems: Anvil Foundry, Clawhammer, Unibräu, Grainfather, Braumeister, Mash & Boil, Brewzilla, plus systems from Spike and SS Brewtech. It's a tad overwhelming!

I'll double-down on all that.

As to whether anything big has been happening in the last year or so......Hhhhmmmm. No, not much🤬

Lots of new dry yeasts: Kolsch, Wit, London III, Kveik Voss, and new information about the origins and lineage of yeasts that we've been using thanks to work on yeast genomes. Much of this information is very enlightening in terms of what we thought we knew about strains versus what the science shows to be true.

Imperial Yeast has been around a few years now, but if you're not familiar with them, they are the only liquid yeast I use now. Definitely look at kveik yeast!

Glitter beer was a thing...and then it wasn't. Other than that, not too much has changed. Oh, wait (record scratch)..

Kveik yeast, that happened. Crazy ancient Norwegian farmhouse strains that love to ferment hot (~100f+ even) reliably delivering either really clean and lager-like, or pleasantly fruity flavors without any need whatsoever for temperature management. That really changed the game. Hard to think of another recent advancement that has had such an impact for experienced as well as fledgeling brewers. Welcome to the new world.

(Record scratch)Ah crap, Kveik has been around awhile, you probably already know about it.

Glitter beer was a thing...and then it wasn't. Other than that, not too much has changed. Oh, wait (record scratch)..

Kveik yeast, that happened. Crazy ancient Norwegian farmhouse strains that love to ferment hot (~100f+ even) reliably delivering either really clean and lager-like, or pleasantly fruity flavors without any need whatsoever for temperature management. That really changed the game. Hard to think of another recent advancement that has had such an impact for experienced as well as fledgeling brewers. Welcome to the new world.

(Record scratch)Ah crap, Kveik has been around awhile, you probably already know about it.
Crazy ancient Norwegian farmhouse strains? That high of temp? Be nice not to stress about temp management..

Dude, don't waste time dipping a toe, just jump in. I love Voss and Hornindal, but Lutra is my favorite. Omega yeast all the way.
What do you make with lutra? What do you like about it and dislike about it? I bought 2 packs to multiply out to 8 vials so I can have on hand and only thought of making a pseudo mexican lager with it.

I just made a low abv lager type of beer with lutra, and the green version already tasted really promising. Going to try some bock type of beer next.

Back