been a few month's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrodbrad

Reaction score
Good morning all. Well it had been a few month's since I was able to make a batch of beer. The reason being was back in April I had a medical situation which caused me not to be able to brew anything and the last time I had done a batch was back in February. But football season is almost here and I wanted to get my 12th grain done up and ready to go So I did that that back on Monday.

I had to get my grains at a different brewing supply store because the store I used to get my stuff the owner retired. I don't think I like this other store for, well I guess would say lack of knowledge for now and how they do their business. (I guess when you are used to one you get spoiled).

I had the store mill my grains and when I had did my mash and boil my numbers were off a bit on my preboil and my sg. preboil was to be 1.044 and I got 1.034 and post boil was to be 1.050 and I got 1.043 was 7 points off but I don't think that was to big of a deal. If it was 10 or more I would be worried. All my volumes were correct from beginning to end, and all my temps were correct.

But when I checked my efficiencies I only had a 61.4%. I can only think of this being possibly grains being milled at the new store, for every batch I did before hand when the old store would mill my grains my efficiencies would be around 82%. Is my assumption pretty correct that the grains were not milled very well. If so I guess I should look into getting my on mill. Have thought about a corona mill but not sure yet.

It could be the mill or maybe just old ingredients. Or maybe your water chemistry is a bit different now than it was back then. Or maybe you just changed a few things and need to get back in teh swing of things.

I wouldnt worry about it. See what happens next time. Even if it stays at 61% its not a big deal, you just need to spend like an extra $3 on grains each batch. Consistency is the main thing

But I understand the frustration. I had to take a pretty long break from brewing for medical reaons and it was a bit daunting to get back in the swing of things after my absence. Id suggest getting your own mill. I got one before I started brewing and its paid off in spades

Back