Bee comitted suicide in my boiling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Nrg

Reaction score
While going through my boil I found a bee had gotten in there somewhere along the way, found him with 15 minutes left. He was boiled for an undetermined amount of time. Wort was boiled for 15 minutes after removal.

Anything I need to worry about?

If you've ever eaten raw honey, you've eaten pieces of bees. I try not to think about it.

Since you boiled sufficiently after removing the decedent, you have nothing to worry about. Think of it as a compliment to the aroma of your wort!

That's kinda what I thought, I wasn't gonna dump it but was just curious.

Thanks Fellas!

I've gotten bitter, flavor, and aroma additions from spiders, mosquitoes, flies, ants, and moths. It comes with brewing out of doors in the mid-Atlantic. Brew on!

The guy who wrote the recipe for a robust porter called "Black Widow Porter"(Really good beer by the way) got that name because he found rests of a boiled widow in his wort when making this recipe and he survived to write it down so i don't think a little bee won't do any harm either. :mug:

Last Sunday I had 2 honeybees that were in my garage dive bomb the kettle. They swarmed late last summer from somewhere and I had hundreds of them everywhere. Couldn't locate the queen or I would have built a quick hive. They warmed up when I turned the garage heat on and started flying around again.

I just hope you gave it a proper burial....

2013-03-20_12_55_56.jpg

Back