Beano Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtbest

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, but I was reading old threads and I decided to try a beano experiment. In the mash.
My curiosity came from reading an old Mr. Wizard article about mashing with Beano.

http://byo.com/mead/item/906-ive-re...can-lower-the-carbohydrates-what-do-you-think

"The science behind the action is simple, well-known and used by some commercial brewers to make light beer. The key ingredient in Beano is a debranching enzyme. When added to beer or wort, the debranching enzyme (amyloglucosidase) renders unfermentable sugars into fermentable sugars. Almost all of the carbohydrates found in pale malt, rice and corn can be completely fermented by yeast when amyloglucosidase is added to the mash or fermenation."

I wanted to see how fermentable I could make plain white rice, grits and a little 2 row I could make. I also didn't boil the wort. I mashed, bought the beer up to 170 and Chilled it.

The beer is still fermenting and I'll have to let everyone know what it taste like when it's done. If you want to see everything I did

http://brewout.com/beano-homebrew-experiment/

Yes, since I didn't boil the beer. The Beano may still be active causing the beer to be a higher alcohol, light body beer. It's an experiment I'm curious to try and it's only around 2.5 gallons. I can drink it no problem.

So I had a beer I was worried about because I had mashed a half pound of oats in a wheat beer which resulted in a cloudy mess. I liquefied just one beano tablet and dropped it in after the first week. Now this 1.06 beer bubbled for 3.5 weeks instead of 2... I'll be tasting it this weekend and reporting back.

I see from the link that your experiment resulted in an infected brew. I suppose you have to boil the wort to kill the lactobacillus. Your choices are to add the Beano during the mash, which would be denatured during the boil, or add it at pitching time, or both.

One piece of info I picked up along the way is that Beano enzymes cannot breakdown maltotriose, so you can control the FG somewhat with your yeast choice. In theory using a highly attenuative yeast like US-05, or a lager yeast, together with Beano will result in a very low gravity. Using a yeast like Danstar ESB or Windsor, which cannot ferment maltotriose, will result in a somewhat higher FG.

I am currently making a small batch of rice wine (sweet rice / glutinous rice) with alpha amylase enzyme and Beano. They did a great job of liquifying the rice porridge but I am not sure that the Beano actually did anything. I found out after I added it that the enzyme in Beano doesn't work below pH 4.0. Since the pH of my wine is about 3.6, most likely the alpha enzyme doing all of the heavy lifting....At some stage I'd like to try making a small batch of rice beer (= pH >4.0), with just enough IBUs to discourage infection, using alpha amylase powder and Beano.

Cheers,

Ukulele 01.

Last edited:
Back