Beam barrel pricing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeerNut

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gents, I have the chance to get my hands on a handful of used Jim Beam barrels... 55 gallons. The guy wants 185 apiece.

I have no idea if that's a great deal... or I'm gonna get screwed. I've inspected the barrels and they're all great... even have some liquor in them...

Should I make the buy or pass? Thanks, guys!

I live near the bushmills distillery and you can get one of their barrels for £45 (~$75). Obviously, being on the other side of the ocean, I don't know how relevant this is, but it is much less than half what they are asking.

Are you able to brew a volume of beer to fill one? Asside from the novelty, I can't see a reason to spring for one, much less more. How many uses could you get from one?

Pass...

I live in Kentucky close to Jim Beam and that seems a little high. Do you know what bourbon was aged in it? Sometimes there are shortages on the barrels available to the public and you have to dish out that much to get your hands on one. If it was Jim Beam 4 year that's a little much but something aged that is top shelf would be worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Some clarifications then:

Yes, I have the capacity to brew enough to fill one... and a couple recipes I wouldn't mind doing that much of for a big party. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't considering buying some to use!

No, I don't know what exactly was aged beyond Jim Beam. If you say that might be a little high, how high? What's the going rate for one (assuming, perhaps, they're just regular Beam barrels and no limited editions in them)? Keep in mind, I'm NOT in Kentucky, so I'd have to pay shipping too... and these are already here where I live...

Thanks so far... keep the comments coming so I can decide for sure today!

Congrats, I envy your brew capacity! Worst case scenario is you end up with some cool furniture. Brew on and let us know how well it worked for you.

With shipping to AZ, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

185 each without having to have them shipped is a good deal imho.

Thanks guys! They actually had a ton of liquor still left in them. Haha! I think I got drunk from the fumes just taking them home... worse problems to have. :mug:

Thanks guys! They actually had a ton of liquor still left in them. Haha! I think I got drunk from the fumes just taking them home... worse problems to have. :mug:

Filter and save the liquor! Itll give you an idea of what was aged inside and what it will do to the beer.

Great investment. After your done with ales you can inoculate it with wild bugs and start yourself a "solera" program.

Cheers and good luck!

Back