Beaglebone Black control panel build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangevaa

Reaction score
I just finished my control panel which uses Strangebrew Elsinore Server to control temperatures and pumps. My control panel is very simple in appearance - only two external switches, since most of the control is done via web interface. These two switches control 3 relays for master power, and for selecting between elements - cutting the hot legs as a safety feature.

I use CAT cables for my homemade DS18B20 temperature probes, for networking, and for various low voltage connections inside the panel (SSR control, etc.). It made sense to use a cheap patch panel to interface with all of these cables. (like $10 on ebay). I connect my control panel to a router set up as a wireless bridge in my garage - so I can easily control this thing anywhere in my house, backyard, or garage.

Wiring the patch panel was super easy with the specialty tool (also ebay - $5)

Here are the guts from two angles

This panel will be used to a power a HERMS-like system in the near future.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm sharing this to provide an example of a control panel based off the powerful Strangebrew Elsinore Server software with Beaglebone Black. Thanks to DougEdey for all of the help!

If you don't mind I would love to see more pictures of how everything is connected.
I'm considering doing one for EBIAB.

Sorry can you be more specific with your question?

Here's a a whole bunch more pictures of my build... I'll do another post of internal stuff if that is what you were interested in.

I suspect you might have some issues with the pumps located like that with the hoses dropping down into a loop. Priming will be a challenge.

I suspect you might have some issues with the pumps located like that with the hoses dropping down into a loop. Priming will be a challenge.

Yes, those will be shortened for both aesthetics and function

Sorry can you be more specific with your question?

Here's a a whole bunch more pictures of my build... I'll do another post of internal stuff if that is what you were interested in.

Yeah its the internal wirering I'm intreged by, im most interested in how the beagle bone conects to the components.

It uses one wire for the temperature probes and analog inputs over DS2450. then direct pin to SSR/relay for controlling everything

What's the advantage of the ds2450? That is new to me.

RaspberryPi doesn't have any analogue inputs on it, the BeagleBone Black only has 1.7v tolerant ones.

The MCP5010 (pressure sensor) and the pH Sensors I've seen are normally 5V so they would kill the system.

The DS2450 is a one wire Analogue input (technically it supports 4 inputs at once) and is addressable directly.

There's work to do to support I2C analogue converters, but I haven't got one to test with.

Back