BCS Fermentation Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODtony

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a panel to control aquarium pumps that will circulate glycol that I will have in a keezer through coils that I will have in my conicals. Would it be over kill to do this with a BCS controller? I know nothing about BCS' and or how to program them, so I'm sure a lot of reading would be in store, but it seems like it could be fun. I just like the idea of data logging and programming fermentation process' in there. As well as being able to control both heating, cooling, and the keezer itself. I know STC's can do some of the same things, but would a BCS do it better? I know I've seen a few posts of folks that have done them with PIDs too.

So many options...I guess I'm just looking for the folks that have done BCS builds. Does it do everything you wanted too; was it as intimidating as it looks? I did a Kal clone build, am pretty electrical wiring savvy, just worried about the programming side of things.

Tony

I use a BCS for my brew rig and another that handles fermentation, kegerator & smoker. When you get to the point of a few temp probes, the cost of a BCS starts to really make sense compared to the better stand-alone PID units (not comparing to the cheap Chinese ones).

I use a glycol system with my BCS and I have 2 fermenters. The BCS watches the temps on both fermenters and on the chill bath. It opens the valves as needed for each fermenter to circulate the glycol. If the temp of the bath drops to a set level, it then turns on the chiller.

With the BCS you gain the ability to remotely monitor it, log, control valves, etc. The BCS can do so much more than a simple PID.

That's good to hear that I'm not crazy. Do you have a schematic, plans, or a thread for that build? I saw the thread on your stand build, which BTW looks amazing!

I use a BCS for my brew rig and another that handles fermentation, kegerator & smoker. When you get to the point of a few temp probes, the cost of a BCS starts to really make sense compared to the better stand-alone PID units (not comparing to the cheap Chinese ones).

I use a glycol system with my BCS and I have 2 fermenters. The BCS watches the temps on both fermenters and on the chill bath. It opens the valves as needed for each fermenter to circulate the glycol. If the temp of the bath drops to a set level, it then turns on the chiller.

With the BCS you gain the ability to remotely monitor it, log, control valves, etc. The BCS can do so much more than a simple PID.

Smoker? I want some more information on this!

Smoker? I want some more information on this!

I have an older Bradley smoker similar to this one: http://www.bradleysmoker.com/original-food-smoker/

The smoker box had a circuit board inside that handled the wood puck feeding/heating, as well as the food chamber heater. The circuit board died, so I took it apart and put a couple of SSR's inside and a temp probe into the food chamber and mounted an RJ45 data jack on the box to hook it up.

Now with the BCS running it I have much better control. I can now do temperature ramps and hold exact temps instead of just the old slide control that it previously used (with no temp feedback). I can also adjust my puck feeding to run the puck longer or shorter before feeding the next puck (some woods burn differently). I only run the smoker about 4 times a year, but for what I want, this is a great setup.

What are you using to move the glycol? I was thinking of a little submersible, but you mentioned valves (solenoids?). Are you relying on convection or a pump? Are the valves just for selecting one of two fermentors?

Already building my BCS system and planning on bringing in a glycol jacketed fermentor this summer. Thought of also using the glycol to chill the wort.

What are you using to move the glycol? I was thinking of a little submersible, but you mentioned valves (solenoids?). Are you relying on convection or a pump? Are the valves just for selecting one of two fermentors?

Already building my BCS system and planning on bringing in a glycol jacketed fermentor this summer. Thought of also using the glycol to chill the wort.

Yes, using a submersible pump. The pump output goes to a PVC manifold I made that has 3 electronic ball valves attached. One ball valve goes to each fermenter and the 3rd one simply opens to allow a recirc back into the cooler/glycol bath.

Back