BCS and 3 way Switch: Manual-OFF-BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott06903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bcs 460 build

I am picking up on a build that I started about a year ago and never finished.

Safety:
30A GFI
3 pole 60a 250v disconnect from another project (major overkill I know but I have it)

Background
I built a PWM feeding a SSR for my boil element with the intention of using it for the boil and a PID for the mash. While researching BCS vs Auberins PID I used this PWM SSR box to control the mash temp (monitored at the output of a herms) At boil time I would unplug the mash element and plug in the boil element, pretty simple setup.

I was able to maintain consistent (+/- .05F per digital thermometer) herms output temp. It took constant attention for about the first 15 min (I acted as the PID reducing the power as it approached target temp) once the target temp was reached it would hold pretty steady. As a result I brewed with this “temporary” configuration for about a year with good results.

Objective
1. Reduce total hands on time to brew enable set and forget mash.
2. When not brewing use the BCS to control 2 fermentation refrigerators and a serving refrigerator.

I plan to use the BCS to start heating the strike and mash water via web before I leave my office so it will be up to temp when I get home. This should cut about 45 min out. I am in CT and have well water which this time of year is in the mid to low 50’s. I heat the entire water volume (~16g for 11g bach) at the same time with a 5500w element in the HLT. At this point I will just pre fill my mash and HLT with the appropriate water volume and tell the BCS to turn on the element and recirc pumps.

Question
All of the above is pretty basic but I do want to clarify what people are doing when they use 3 way switches. ON-OFF-ON MANUAL-OFF –BCS I question the utility of having the manual mode. Without the ability to modulate the power to the element the manual mode is not very useful in the event the BCS went down.

What I think would be more useful is to have the MANUAL position direct power to a PWM SSR that the user could adjust as needed (backup thermometer would be needed too). Has anyone done this, if so how does it work in practice? Does anyone see potential problems/ conflicts with the above? I will likely use one of P-J’s diagrams and modify to add the PWM SSR part.

Thanks
Scott

Back