BCS 462 flame sensor & coil control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrashWoodBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm finishing up my "mostly" automated rig and looking for a bit of your expertise. I'm sure these topics are out there - if you have a link please post it :mug:

Four questions at this point:

1) Is there a way to get the BCS to interpret a flame sensor signal? I have my automated gas valve / HSI working great and have the flame sensor wired to a discrete input on the BCS.

2) I'm using two 220v coils in-line for RIMS on the MLT. They each have their own control - does anyone have an example of how they've programmed the output?

3) I'm using two kettles (MLT & BK) and sparging directly with the tap water running through the two coils. Any suggestions on a good / affordable carbon filter?

4) I work at a software company, so I'm no stranger to excel and If statements... but the ladder logic, for some reason, is confusing to me. If anyone has an example on their processes & ladder logic I'm sure I can figure it out pretty quick. Does anyone have an example they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks guys,
I'll get some pics up soon

I have yes. There isn't any info on using a flame sensor, no process example for mashing and definitely no suggestions for water filters :)

Looking closer at the Ladder Logic examples now but would love to hear others thoughts on a flame sensor and see some process examples for mashing.

Thanks in advance!

1. The flame sensor needs to have a digital (binary) output that is 0V (sinked) when off and >3.5V (sourced) when on. That output is tied to a BCS DIN (Digital INput). The BCS cannot interpret or differentiate anything other than those signals.

2. I don't understand the question. Each should get its own output and SSR driving it. Turn one or the other on for half power, turn both on for full.

3. I love me a 2 vessel rig and some direct sparge. I use storage tanks for RO water, then build my water profile with salts. For your rig, any quality general carbon filter from a big box store will do the trick. Just run it through slowly, especially if you are expecting to reduce chlorine.

4. Ladder logic works from left to right, connecting through inline input "contacts", which determine the output "contact" at the right. The output contact's stage is not changed unless the input contacts are all closed. In the BCS, ladder is evaluated last before outputs are physically updated. So for example, in my rig I do not let the output of the RIMS element turn ON unless the flow through the tube meets a certain minimum. The ladder is:

---( )------( )-----------------( )
---OUT2-----DIN1--------------OUT2

Which says, working from left to right. If OUT2 is ON and if DIN1 is ON, then OUT2 is ON. Should either OUT2 or DIN1 be off, then OUT2 cannot be on. Contacts with / lines through them are reverse logic, meaning NOT ON. Hope that helps.

Thanks BrunDog! Very helpful, I appreciate it. FLOW RATE?!?!?!!? That sounds like a wonderful addition - tell me more!

1) I'm guessing that my flame sensor is not 0 - 3.5v since it's tied to a DIN right now and doesn't register. Any recommendation on a sensor? The HVAC world isn't very great at listing details.

2) They're setup with individual SSRs. I meant PID or Duty Cycle etc.. I think I've got it, just search for some other folks examples.

3) Done! Thank you.

4) That's super helpful. My confusion was def due to the "reverse logic." I was looking at the / like you would in a wiring diagram. I love logic you shared, thank you. Any ideas on how to turn the pump on when the coils are on? If I program it normally and use PID for the coils the pump will turn on and off as the coils cycle. I guess the main purpose is to add a safeguard against scorching which your flow rate solves for.

Back