• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Illinois Bcs 462 electric 50A brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_K

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting rid of my brew system that I picked up from another member on these forums, cyberbackpacker. It's a great system, just bigger than I need. I bought it from him for 2700 and built the stand myself, also had the brew kettles TIG welded after I noticed some small leaks. The top part of the stand is bolted together and should be easily disassembled.

The electrics system consists of the BCS 462 element, enclosed in the panel he wired himself. I'm no expert on this but I have his schematic available and can add that later if you guys want to see it.

There are 2 25 gallon stainless steel kettles with sight glasses. I have a replacement sight glass included since I bumped one of them and the plastic cracked. It's still been functioning fine but i have a replacement ready.

The boil kettle/mash tun has a 5500w and 4500w heating element in the base of the kettle. The mash tun/HLT has a 4500w heating element in it.

There is a mash tube with a false bottom welded into it that sits inside one of the kettles, I've used it without problem in either kettle. Just depends how you want to use it. It's on a pulley system to move from the boil kettle to the HLT for a batch sparge.

There are 2 pumps attached under each kettle. I don't know much about them but can post later on request.

I'm offering the whole system for $3200 or best offer.

I'm located in Heyworth, IL which is just south of Bloomington. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465094997.546357.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465095022.940146.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465095040.432227.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465095092.658712.jpg

I am incredibly curious as to what the sixtel is doing hanging from the hoist. Looks really cool!

I built a system to wash them upside down with the pump, I'm probably willing to throw that in too.

Two elements can be run concurrently.

Sorry to hear the system ended up being too big for you.

To anyone interested with more detailed questions about the system, I built it, and would be glad to answer any thing Andy cannot recall, etc.

A note on the pumps/kettles-- these are bottom drain vessels, connected to a 3/4" SS ball valves, then to Chugger Center inlet pump heads (the bottom of the vessels have 3/4" FPT welding spuds for the pump connection). The motors for the pump heads are 1/12hp with built in heat sinks and they are twice as powerful as a March/Chugger (1/25hp).These easily shot water like a fire hose through 1/2" ID tubing 12 feet across my brew space-- a long story how I found that out!

Here is a pretty thorough description of the build and some pics when I was using it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521168

This is why I love this community. The guy who had it before is helping sell his ex brew system.

Hah I really didn't expect you to respond to this post Kevin (cyberbackpacker)! But thanks!

I'd like to sell the unit as a whole for now. I'll add some more pictures later this week.

Cyberbackpacker had a bunch of videos from brewing while the system was at his place, the process was the same. I'll be uploading them to YouTube and linking them soon.

I guess I'll add: with his consent I'll upload the videos :)
Let me know if that's OK..

I would be very interested in the panel. Does it support 4 elements? Can I see a few pictures of it specifically?

Sorry I haven't been actively trying to sell lately, lowering price to $2800 OBO. Looking to sell as a package for convenience... also I will have videos uploaded for those interested, please PM me

Bump...
I'm lowering the price to 2400 for the system, it includes a lot of extras. I'll PM anyone with a link to videos with the system in action.

I'll also consider piecing it out of I can't find enough interest in the whole system. Feel free to make me offers on individual components.

For now I'm still selling as a complete system for my convenience. Thanks

Sale was pending but fell through (no fault of the system!)
So it's back available, i'll consider parting it out of I can't find any interest near 2000. Bring offers if you want individual components.

It can support 2 heating elements at the same time - there are 2 in the boil kettle and 1 in the mash. One is 5500w, the other 2 are 4500w. I will PM you the google drive link for the videos, most made by the previous owner and a couple by myself running water through it.

Great system guys and a stand up home brewer. I had to back out due to travel logistics and just being unable to make the long trip to pick it up. Like Andy said nothing wrong with it.

Looks like a great system, thanks for sending the videos! Unfortunately I think it is going to be too big for me. If you decide to part out I will definitely hop in line for the panel

Bump...willing to piece meal this thing out. Make me offers for individual components

Back