BB Russian Imperial Stout explosion! haha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glaurung30

Reaction score
This isn't so much a problem but just a funny thing that happened last night. My wife got me a Brewers Best RIS kit for Christmas. I felt that the dry yeast pack might not be enough for a big beer like this so I made a starter with the dry yeast. Then I thought well hey I better double pitch so I made a second starter. haha I used my 7.5 gallon fermenter and just an air lock thinking I would be okay. Last night around 3am (about 6 hours after pitching) I awoke to a very loud noise and I couldnt' figure out what it was. I walked around the house and didn't see anything then I went to my closet. Ohhhh my it blew the lid off and across the closet, blew the o-ring out of the lid and splattered krausen all over my closest and my wifes high heels that were on her shoe rack. haha Well needless to say I switched the airlock over to a blow off tube. haha I just had to share it because it was so crazy. I have never had that much pressure build up. I'm not really looking forward to scrubbing the walls clean this evening though. :)

This beer is going to teach me patience though because I know it's going to have to sit awhile before it's at its prime.

It only takes one explosion (like my first batch) to get a homebrewer to use a blow-off tube as standard practice in primary fermentation.

Going to make me want to use blow-off tubes from here on out with stories like this. My wife would kill me if this happened.

Lol I'm brewing the same thing and this just happen scared the **** out me at 343am how can this be prevented Ps my first time brewing

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

With those Ale Pails I tried a blowoff tube as well but I think brewing anything Imperial will probably blow it off haha. I just can't see how that tiny hole will relieve the pressure of a big A$$ Krausen. Luckily mine was in my garage fridge. I still haven't cleaned it up, waiting for spring:D

Back