Bayou classic burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjosborne

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with these? Amazon has a 128,000 btu one for $50. I want to get the 30 gallon kettle and do 10-15 gallon batches. Will I be able to bring 12-18 gallons to boil with this? And how much propane would it take?

Yes should work... What model number are you talking about? There are several burners called Bayou Classic.

I have a 100qt (25 gallon) kettle and Bayou BG14 burner.

I have the I believe KB10 model, I think it might be a little bigger than the one you are mentioning but the thing is a beast.

I have the SP10, it puts out 185K BTUs, says it's good for up to 100 Qts, $50. I can cook fries in a minute.

I have the SP10, it puts out 185K BTUs, says it's good for up to 100 Qts, $50. I can cook fries in a minute.

How long would a propane tank last? Could I get 2 or 3 batches out of a tank?

@m1k3 how many lbs grain can you get into the kettle?

I don't put grain in the kettle. (you mean BIAB?)

I have a 1/2 barrel keg as a HLT, and I mash in a 70qt rectangular cooler, and then boil in the 100qt (25 gallon) kettle. just over 40 pounds of grain is my max.

BTW- The HLT sits on a burner just like the one being discussed here. It's great but loud.

My Banjo Burner BG14 that the kettle sits on is super quiet.

I don't put grain in the kettle. (you mean BIAB?)

I have a 1/2 barrel keg as a HLT, and I mash in a 70qt rectangular cooler, and then boil in the 100qt (25 gallon) kettle. just over 40 pounds of grain is my max.

BTW- The HLT sits on a burner just like the one being discussed here. It's great but loud.

My Banjo Burner BG14 that the kettle sits on is super quiet.

Ya I guess I assumed you did biab. That's what my plan is to do. I was hoping for 50 lb capacity which I should get if you can get 40 in a 70 qt cooler.

I have a couple of 15 year old SQ14 stainless steel burners and I wish I could go back in time and buy two more. I recently replaced the burners and hoses and unfortunately the new parts are made in China and of lesser quality than they used to be. One of the hoses is leaking after a half dozen uses and the burners look like they were cast in a old coffee can in somebody's garage. I would look at them in person before ordering sight unseen on the internet.

Back