Bathtub Brewsink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Town9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are just finishing up building our new house where I roughed in a brew room in the basement (to be finished slowly over the years). I ran hot/cold water, drainage, Nat gas, 110 & 220v as well as an area that I'll eventually build into a fermentation closet. The wall with the plumbing I shared with a finished basement, future bar area on the other side. I hope to eventually run tap lines through the wall from the brewery directly into the bar. Someday.

I've been looking online for used ss commercial sinks to install, but don't have the funds right now to pull the trigger.

I do however have a new fiberglass bathtub (with a "doh!" hole that I'll patch) that I was considering using as a sink instead. My thought is that I would build a stand to raise it to counter height, then cut a section of the front panel off to use as a back splash. I would install the faucet either in that backsplash or somewhere else.

Does anyone see an issue with this?

The only concern I have right now is that the bottom of my ss kettle will scratch up the fiberglass tub, but it's just going to be a cleaning sink, so that should be ok...

All comments/suggestions are welcome... Also, if you have recommendations for building up my blank-ish slate brewery I'm all ears (eyes?).

Thanks!

-Ben

image.jpg

Check dairy suppliers for stainless steel sinks. I'm using a double basin milk house sink. Mine is free standing, but can also be built into a counter top. Each sink is large enough for two 6.5 gallon carboys to stand side-by-side.

It seems like a pretty clever idea, using the bathtub like that. The only think I can think of challenge-wise is that a bathtub is a lot larger, depth-wise (front to back) than even a utility sink so it would take up more floor space, and you'd be leaning way over to reach the faucets, etc. If you're tall with long arms, it might not be a problem.

Good call. I think we'll have the floor space and my brother and I (the primary users) are both 6'5". I think it will be crucial to get the right faucet and place it smartly so it doesn't get annoying.

+1 to getting a pre-rinse faucet, built a kal clone eherms last year and my rinse faucet turned out to be my favorite upgrade! I expect to see a lot more bathtub sinks on here in the future. Great idea!

It might be hard to fit a 3/0 door into a 32-1/2" rough opening. :cross:
If you are planning on a 36" door down there, I'd check into that. A 30" door kinda sucks on the exterior.

Ha! I never even noticed that on the plan before (this is plan iteration #176 btw). It's complete and it's a 3/0 door, luckily the framers out-thought the plan...

+1 to getting a pre-rinse faucet, built a kal clone eherms last year and my rinse faucet turned out to be my favorite upgrade! I expect to see a lot more bathtub sinks on here in the future. Great idea!

I've seen a couple in "out of business restaurant" auctions on line, but they required the buyer to remove the faucet and I couldn't make their window. Hopefully one will line up soon...back to CL...

It seems clever idea, using the bathtub like that. The only think I can think of challenge-wise is that a bathtub is a lot larger, depth-wise so it would take up more floor space.As my house was remodelled from denver renovations , they told me to use bathtub for keeping dumps or waste things,as it is quite large and it covers a lot of space,so its better to keep in backyard of house.

Just be careful of the strength of the supports for the tub that you build. If the drain blocks, then the weight of the tub full of water will be significant. Make sure you build strong enough that it can't fill up then collapse pouring an entire bathtub of water across your basement.

Back