Batch sparging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
When im batch sparging do I still need to add the sparge water slowly to the tun or just dump it in since ill be stirring it up anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Some say stir but not too much as to airate it and other say stir like hell. Whats your thought on it?

And I could also ask... do you still do it at mash out temps like 170 as you would a fly sparge?

hot-side aeration is a debate in some places, but i have never seen it at the homebrew level. pour it in, stir it up a little bit just to make sure it's all wet, and walk away. my general process is 150-154 mashing, depending on beer type, drain it all, dump in the water and soak it about 20-30 minutes at 165-168, drain it, then boil the wort. i stir the mash and the sparge every 5-10 minutes to make sure there are no dry spots or cold spots.

There is no need to let the sparge water sit. Dump it all in, stir well and run it off as fast as you like. Temperature doesn't matter, other than cold water taking longer to get to a boil. Heat it before sparge or after, up to you, mashout is not important when batch sparging.

masonsjax said:
There is no need to let the sparge water sit. Dump it all in, stir well and run it off as fast as you like. Temperature doesn't matter, other than cold water taking longer to get to a boil. Heat it before sparge or after, up to you, mashout is not important when batch sparging.

Sugar is modestly more soluble at 168 compared with say 150 so one might expect a theoretically lower efficiency.

masonsjax said:

If the water is cold could this make it more likely to get a stuck sparge?

Roger

It shouldn't, but if its too cold you'll reduce the amount of sugar that can be pulled out

+1 on that. Cold water will also make a stuck sparge more likely when using wheat malt as it increases the viscocity of the mash. Rye malt is even worse. It depends on your equipment and how much you use.

It's not economical to use cold water for sparging when you have to heat the wort in the boiler afterwards. Cold water will also cool down the wort you've already paid good money to heat up which is a bit senseless.

I've never done a mash out because I don't believe it's necessary with modern high quality grain. Some people will argue that's wrong but I like to keep things simple.

I usually mash at about 151F then heat the sparge water to 166F while I'm waiting. The hot wort then goes into the boiler and I don't have to wait too long to raise it to boil temperature. I usually sparge with two equal steps and start heating the first runnings as soon as it goes into the boiler.

Do you fwh? Is so if I break it down. I 1st drain first running. Add sparge to tun, stir wait 10-20min and reapet till I get total volume needed. If I start my boil with 1st runnings by the time I get total volume its already been boiling for 20-40 min would that bring my total boil time to 110 min? Or.do.you guys start the clock when its all in the kettle. As for first wort hoping if I put in with first runings should I use lower % hops to balance the time in kettle or or add less of higher %. Or is that time negligible and I should just use my original hop schedule?

Cold water does not increase the chances of stuck sparge, nor does it decrease efficiency. In addition to my many years of anecdotal evidence, Kai Troester has shared the results of his extensive testing, which also validate my claims. When batch sparging, the sugars are already in solution, it's important to agitate (stir) the mash, but temperature is not an issue. As to heating the wort to a boil, the same water needs to be heated regardless, so you're not using more gas one way over another. Choose what you prefer and go with it. I just want people to know they are not constrained by the same rules as someone that is fly sparging.

Do you fwh? Is so if I break it down. I 1st drain first running. Add sparge to tun, stir wait 10-20min and reapet till I get total volume needed. If I start my boil with 1st runnings by the time I get total volume its already been boiling for 20-40 min would that bring my total boil time to 110 min? Or.do.you guys start the clock when its all in the kettle. As for first wort hoping if I put in with first runings should I use lower % hops to balance the time in kettle or or add less of higher %. Or is that time negligible and I should just use my original hop schedule?

The whole point of batch sparging is to drain as quickly as possible and get to boiling before enzymes over convert or extract astringent flavors, etc. There is no reason to let the sparge water rest for any amount of time. Just stir vigorously and collect. Your kettle should be full before you can get the first runnings to a boil. Start timing when the full amount starts rolling.

Back