Batch sparge technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
My efficiency has been fluctuating recently, and I'm wondering if it's something to do with my sparge technique.

I usually batch sparge by recirculating, then draining slowly while keeping the sparge water around an inch or two above the surface of the grain.

I've been reading around and have come across some comments suggesting that in batch sparging you should drain quickly and stir the grain bed either before or after recirculating.

Am I doing something wrong with my sparge? Can anyone suggest some improvements to my batch sparge method?

Sounds like you're fly-sparging, not batch sparging. Batch is when you pour in all your sparge water, let it sit (maybe stirring a couple times) for a while, then drain it. That's why you can open the valve all the way and let it go.

Yeah the 1" above sounds like fly sparking but it could be batch somehow.

Are you recirculating, draining then adding sparge water, stirring the grain bed and then continually adding water while draining to keep the 1" layer?

Are you recirculating, draining to boil kettle and adding sparge water while draining and maintaining a 1" height above the grain bed?

The second would be more in line with fly sparking while the first would be a seemingly tedious batch sparge.

Latest posts

Back