Batch -> Pitch -> growth phase -> Batch Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrielcalo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For some time I've been thinking about making bigger batchs without having to increase my starter. So I thought about the following situation. The goal is ferment 10 gallons, so, today I make a batch of 5-gallons, pitch the yeast, and after a period, enough to have a yeast population for a new 5-gallon batch, I would make the new batch and add to the fermenter.

Now, how could you estimate the right time to do the second batch? Could someone give me a light?

Best regards,

Gabriel

So, if I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to begin a fermentation with 5 gallons of wort and then add another 5 gallons soon thereafter, taking advantage of the yeast growth and the fact that the first 5 gallons of fermentables have already been consumed by the yeast. Correct?

I'm not sure exactly when the optimal time to add the second batch of wort would be, but once the initial fermentation begins to slow, which usually for me is about 4-5 days, I would deem it safe to add the second batch to the fermenter. At that point, however, you would be in an overpitch situation, which may or may not matter to you.

So, if I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to begin a fermentation with 5 gallons of wort and then add another 5 gallons soon thereafter, taking advantage of the yeast growth and the fact that the first 5 gallons of fermentables have already been consumed by the yeast. Correct?

I'm not sure exactly when the optimal time to add the second batch of wort would be, but once the initial fermentation begins to slow, which usually for me is about 4-5 days, I would deem it safe to add the second batch to the fermenter. At that point, however, you would be in an overpitch situation, which may or may not matter to you.

You understood perfectly. I want to know the correct time, or how to infer this time, considering a lag phase of 12h at top, to have the correct pitching rate for the new batch.

Thanks for the reply.

Gabriel.

I would think this would be difficult to pinpoint exactly due to all the variables in play, but you really only need one doubling of the population to give you enough cells to ferment double the wort. Since the active fermentation phase implies the end of the growth phase and usually begins 12-24 hours post pitching, I would think that you could probably add the second batch of wort at around the 12 hour mark and be in the ball park. It would certainly make for an interesting experiment.

Latest posts

Back