Bass Pro Turkey Fryer $40!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrels

Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife picked me up a Turkey Fryer from Basspro for christmas:mug:, but unfortunately I ruined it and saw it by the front door.:( So instead, I'm paying for it, but I do get it early. :ban:

If you guys check out basspro, they have one on sale for $40 plus shipping (came to about $45). This is a great deal before black friday, and I thought I would give a shout out to anyone who wants one!:D

Best of Brewing!

Here is the link if anyone is interested!

Bought it last week... should be here tomorrow!

Looks like a good deal, but if you use a keggle, you might have to alter the base. I think there's a metal bracket that holds stabilizes the stock pot. But a keggle would be wider so check the dimensions before buying.

It was a great deal though!

I have heard that these pots are very thin, the contents scorch easily and the handles are weak. I also read a thread on here where the burner had a timed shut-off so it would keep shutting off during the boil... do you/does anyone know if this one would have these issues? Thanks again.

@Earwig - This would not set you up completely for all-grain. You would still need a mash-tun. The pot seems more sturdy than my current cheap 5 gallon pot. The burner does have a timed shut-off of 20 minutes, you can simply turn the knob every 15 minutes at your hop additions. This is okay for me since I tend to not stray from my brew pot while brewing (scared of boil over). If you are smart about your additions of extract when extract brewing you shouldn't scorch it.

@HappyLoon - two things. The bracket you don't have to install, so it shouldn't get in the way of your Keggle. The second thing is I grew up in Bloomington on the East side. Small world!

For $40, I think that this was a great buy!

I have heard that these pots are very thin, the contents scorch easily and the handles are weak. I also read a thread on here where the burner had a timed shut-off so it would keep shutting off during the boil... do you/does anyone know if this one would have these issues? Thanks again.

Used one for my first AG this past weekend. I'll be putting a thread up, probably tomorrow. Worked fine for me. I even thought about getting another one but made a set up where I didn't have too. It'll be in the new thread. BTW, I lifted the kettle with about 4 gallons of hot water and 9.5lbs grain off the burner, some 41 lbs pretty easy I think, I never felt a weak handle. YMMV.

Used one for my first AG this past weekend. I'll be putting a thread up, probably tomorrow. Worked fine for me. I even thought about getting another one but made a set up where I didn't have too. It'll be in the new thread. BTW, I lifted the kettle with about 4 gallons of hot water and 9.5lbs grain off the burner, some 41 lbs pretty easy I think, I never felt a weak handle. YMMV.

Did you do a BIAB with this? I've been curious about doing that eventually, just never thought of using a pot this small.

Squirrels & Specialkaye, thanks for the replies. I understand that I need more equipment, I'm just looking for an affordable burner & pot now :) thanks again!

Hello all, noob here, first post. ;-)

Just wanted to chime in, I got this burner and used it for my first brew this weekend. I did not use the aluminum pot it came with and instead used a SS 40qt pot. When putting it together you just leave off the brackets that would hold the pot on and then you have no problem using a bigger pot.

The burner more or less worked perfectly. It cranked out plenty of heat, boiled in no time. Only complaint was the 20 min timer, if you forgot it would cut out if you lost track of it. That was annoying. So, last night after doing a Google search I came across this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/turkey-fryer-burner-timer-interlock-mod-123043/. It was a pretty straight forward mod, and 15 minutes later the timer is bypassed and burner works perfectly. You could also just jam some paper in the timer knob or wrap with duct tape or rubber bands and effectivly stop the timer as well. For the money I'm very happy with the burner.

Did you do a BIAB with this? I've been curious about doing that eventually, just never thought of using a pot this small.

Yes, I did. I hadn't heard of BIAB until after I had purchased this set up. Though, for the price, I probably would have still purchased it. I'm putting SWMBO through college, she's not working, and my income has been severely cut. This is a good deal for the price.

I'll be posting a separate thread in the all grain section soon. I just had a tax man come to my door over $10 in business taxes from 2009 for a business that's been closed since before then. What a PITA. We thought we'd already taken care of this last year but they're so hard up for every cent that they'll waste a county employees time to come to my house for something that I have already paid and have the proof I've paid. And, they want me to fill out a new county tax return. Again. This'll be the third one for the same thing. Sorry for the rant.

Link to All Grain session: HERE

The burner more or less worked perfectly. It cranked out plenty of heat, boiled in no time. Only complaint was the 20 min timer, if you forgot it would cut out if you lost track of it. That was annoying. So, last night after doing a Google search I came across this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/turkey-fryer-burner-timer-interlock-mod-123043/. It was a pretty straight forward mod, and 15 minutes later the timer is bypassed and burner works perfectly. You could also just jam some paper in the timer knob or wrap with duct tape or rubber bands and effectivly stop the timer as well. For the money I'm very happy with the burner.

Just a side note. A real easy mod I found for this was I just used a couple of zip ties when the burner is in the ticking mode. Cheap, easy and reversible.:rockin:

I've used this burner and pot for all of my AG brews and I have no complaints other than I paid 70 something bucks for it in the store. :)

They also have a SS 30qt with a spigot for 89. Is it worth doubling the price to get the spigot? A spigot seems useful when boiling a whole 5 gallons....

The $89 set has a higher BTU burner and the pot is stainless steel, definitely worth the extra funds.

I'm looking for a cooker (30qt minimum) that I can use to boil wort (primarily) and also to steam crabs here in the summer. A basket is a plus for that. I have considered buying a stainless kit for wort and getting an inexpensive pot at Walmart I could use to steam crabs. Has anyone been through this decision matrix yet? Should I use different pots? I have a small pot now that I use for stovetop wort duties and have done both crabs and wort with it. I just clean it really well after steaming crabs. I have had no problems with impacting the beer. Not sure if that trend continues with outdoor brewing.

My inclination is to get the $40 kit and upgrade as necessary. Second would be to get the $90 30 qt stainless with a spigot. Is the spigot worth having? If the spigot isn't helpful, I'm leaning most towards the $80 50 quart beast. I appreciate anyone's input.

Sam's Club has a 50 quart for about $80
Pros: 50 quarts!, no shutoff timer, steamer basket included
Cons: No spigot

King Kooker® - 50 qt. Aluminum Ridge Pot Outdoor Cooker Package - Sam's Club

Bass Pro has a few options:
$40 30 quart Aluminum
Bass Pro Shops® 30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer | Bass Pro Shops

$90 30 qt stainless with spigot, no basket
Bass Pro Shops® Stainless Steel Turkey Fryer with Spigot | Bass Pro Shops

$150 30qt Stainless with Spigot and basket
Bass Pro Shops® Stainless Steel 3 in 1 Combo Cooker | Bass Pro Shops

Just my $0.02, but I'd use different pots for steaming crabs. I'm thinking about potential cross contamination of seafood odors into the wort...

Thanks. I've been thinking of that. I'm now leaning towards the $90 stainless 30 qt. I'll see if the spigot is useful for transferring to fermenter. Might be easier than lifting a 5 gallon batch to pour.

Just picked up the bass pro $90 stainless setup. The pot is pretty nice and the spigot is cool but you'd ultimately have to replace it if you plan on using whole leaf hops. There's no way to attach a hop screen on the inside. The burner is wiggly. Not a fan of it. Honestly I'm returning it because I already have an aluminum setup that works fine. I'll opt for a larger kettle eventually. Maybe something with couplings pre welded.

After owning this set for over a year now, I have to say I am still pleased with it. My burner isn't wobbily, I'm sorry to hear of the bad luck. I have actually upgraded to an 80 qt pot and I do 10 gallon batches using the BIAB method.

As far as getting a spigot on the setup, I would avoid it. It is easy enough to install your own and that way you can put a pickup and add a hop screen if you want.

The burner still works great!

Back